Petrolia has a growing number of people living in close proximity to the “downtown” area, particularly young families with children in the school system. For such a small town (population 400-600) there is an incredible number of community events and services taking place at several high public use areas throughout the week — from K-12 at the Mattole School toYoga, Dance, Preschool, Senior Fitness classes and Farmers Market at the Mattole Valley Community Center, and self help and wellbeing classes at the Mattole Valley Resource Center. Access from several residential hubs to these high public use areas is limited to vehicular travel due to the dangerous conditions for pedestrians and bikers on Mattole Road. Often, school children are forced off the road when oncoming traffic is present due to there not being an adequate shoulder or pathway. There have also recently been several close calls and one accident where vehicles have threatened the lives of pedestrians accessing these locations.
Petrolia Pathways Project is a group of community volunteers who want to promote safe and healthy access for pedestrians and cyclists to these locations, especially for children who walk and ride their bikes to school. We propose to mitigate these problems through the construction of a 4,500 ft. asphalt pedestrian pathway that allows access from residential hubs to the heavy public use areas along Mattole Road as well as installing safety features at road crossings.
· We have secured a small amount of funding through the Humboldt Area Foundation to host fundraising events and to hire a professional engineer do preliminary planning work
· We hired a professional engineer and have done two site assessments on the proposed pathway
· We met with Humboldt County Public Works staff, our county supervisor, representatives from the Mattole School and MVRC, to determine whether or not the project was feasible and discuss design and potential project constraints
· Humboldt County Public Works gave a verbal support of the project and offered to assist with materials and equipment
· A topographical survey is scheduled to be completed by mid-March by the engineer. This data is needed to produce design plans for the project
· We will be submitting several proposals over the next month to secure construction funding
What we need
To keep the project moving we need funds to complete the design work and begin construction. Your donations will go towards:
Finishing the engineered design plans
Purchasing construction and safety materials
Construction of the path
Because we are an all volunteer group, no donations will go toward labor or planning time.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT!
- Jessica Etter
- Robert Scott Davies
- Peter&Cynthia Galvin/Elkins
- Gina Rimson
- Dave Buxbaum
Organizer and beneficiary
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more