In the early hours of Dec 24th there was a small house fire that started (probably from a candle) in the bedroom where the 3yo was sleeping; the barking dog woke up the 10yo and she ran to the room to find her scared brother crouching in the corner with the fire; she got him out then ran downstairs to tell her mother (my sister) who quickly went up and saw; she hurried out the kids, our mother and the dogs then put out the fire;
This would have ended well except that my elderly mother hesitated, inhaled smoke, became disoriented and then resisted leaving;
My sister struggled with her and eventually had to forcefully get her downstairs but she had gone into cardiac arrest. My sister pulled her outside and started CPR until the paramedics arrived. They were able to restart her heart but she had been without oxygen too long and had apoxic brain damage. With many prayers and love and much support, we needed to let her go and she peacefully died Dec 28th.
As you can imagine this has been a horrible ordeal for my sister and her kids.
The house has no insurance and now we need to restore the physical damage which will hopefully help with the emotional.
Many have offered to assist in some way and we are not encouraging you to contribute, but if you are so inclined you can use this site to help restore the damaged rooms of the house (i.e. cleanup fire damage, and replace windows that were broken out by the fire department). Please feel no obligation.
DonationsSee top donations
- Andrew Garrett
- Terrie Kowalewski
- Steve & Michele Greenfield
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more