We are a group of families in Briargrove, a neighborhood in Houston, Texas, that remained "dry" during Hurricane Harvey in August 2017. We feel compelled to help our neighbors in this great city rebuild their lives since we were so fortunate during this State-wide disaster.
What we do:
We joined together as families to consolidate our fundraising efforts in an attempt to have the most impact on the neighborhoods and people most affected by Hurricane Harvey. The goal is $1,000 per fundraiser, and we have 40 fundraisers as of September 2017.
We have a threefold approach to our outreach:
1) We fundraise to garner the most funds for our relief fund.
2) We pinpoint the causes and needs in Houston that require funds to rebuild.
3) We help these affected families and communities in need through our relief fund. In order to accomplish this, we allocate funds equally between all families involved in the relief fund. The sponsoring family then supplies the sponsored family/community with what they need to rebuild.
The needs we have pinpointed as of September 2017 are:
1) Provide food and meals for children impacted by Harvey. Funds will go directly to feeding children in low-income areas who are displaced or whose parents are unable to provide food for them due to the Disaster.
2) Purchase backpacks and school supplies for low-income children in school districts throughout Houston. For many of these children, their families cannot replace the backpacks and school supplies that were lost in the Storm and these children are therefore unprepared for school.
3) Sponsor individual families. Families who are in need of help rebuilding will receive assistance from the relief fund. We will donate necessary individualized supplies (i.e. cleaning supplies, diapers and children's supplies, clothing, food, etc.) to families who are struggling after losing everything in the Storm.
Flow of Funds
The funds will be sent from GoFundMe to Jessica Keegan's personal bank account. Jessica will then Venmo each fundraiser their pro rata amount. Each fundraising family is responsible for keeping and submitting receipts so that the "organizer" has a clear record of where the funds are going. A fundraiser will not receive money until a receipt is submitted.
There has been so much devastation to so many homes within miles of us. PLEASE help us help others!!!
- Jeff Powers
- Steve Carrigan
- Allison Wise
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more