Fight Citizenship Based Taxation
I'm Fabien Lehagre (bio available on this page), President of the Association des Américains Accidentels.
For the past 7 years, I have been behind many initiatives aimed at fighting against the servitude imposed by the United States through these extraterritorial laws on accidental Americans and by extension to Americans who live outside the United States.
Here are some of the advances I have been able to achieve (of course, with the support of the 1500 members of the AAA ):
- The adoption of a resolution in the European Parliament
- Convincing the European Union to address the issue of accidental Americans with the United States
- Obtain acceptance from the State Department to reduce the amount of fees to renounce American nationality : from $2350 to $450
- Assisting lawyer Stuart Horwich in obtaining recognition from the IRS that CSG/CRDS are considered as French taxes and therefore deductible from American taxes
- Obtain the support of the French Parliament: parliamentary report, amendment, adopted resolution,...
I also have ongoing lawsuits :
- To denounce the illegality of FATCA under the General Data Protection Regulation (EU GDPR) in the following countries: France, Belgium, the Netherlands and Luxembourg
- Against French online banks that discriminate against U.S. Persons
- Against the State Department to denounce the unconstitutionality 1/ of the fees charged during the renunciation procedure 2/ of the closures of American embassies and the waiting lists to renounce U.S. citizenship.
A lot of media coverage including in major media mainstream in the United States : Time Magazine, The Washington Post, NBC, ...
And even inspire a song : "Accidental Americans by Carlton Moody" :-)
Today, I want to take a new step. I would like to unite as Americans who live outside the United States. & Accidental Americans as possible to fight Citizenship Based Taxation (CBT), a system where tax residency is defined in terms of the circumstances of your birth contrary to resident-based taxation which is a system where tax residency is defined in terms of the circumstances of your life.
The time has come to show the United States that we are not their property. That this form of modern-day slavery that is CBT must no longer exists.
How many Americans who live outside the United State and accidental Americans still have to renunce for the American government to understand that it has no interest in maintaining this this unconstitutional taxation for various reasons ?
If I managed to do so many things with 1500 members, imagine what I could do with several hundred thousand, even millions of supporters. With 9 million Americans living outside the United States, that must be possible.
Why federate overseas Americans now?
In the coming months, a lawsuit will be launched against Citizenship Based Taxation (more details here) and I think it would be appropriate to conduct parallel lobbying and public relations actions. Over the past few months I have had discussions with lobbying firms and public affairs firms and I need your financial support to hire professionals who can help us fight CBT.
How can you participate in this fight ?
1/ Making a donation + giving us your email address (here). Important to keep you informed.
2/ Share this GoFundMe (this link) with al Americans who live outside the United States you know asking them to support this too. The network effect is very important if we want to succeed in reaching large donors.
What are the next steps ?
To start, we set ourselves the goal of raising 100,000€ to select a lobbying firm and a public relations agency to accompany us. In due course, we will need to adjust this amount to be raised to deploy the strategy defined by the firms.
Other initiatives are already being studied and as soon as we are more advanced in fundraising, I could tell you more.
Of course, you will be kept informed of the various actions that will be taken. I promise you.
I hope to see many of you joining this new movement that I want to start.
Président de l’Association des Américains Accidentels (AAA)