Musicians bring so much joy to the world. Let's give them something back, shall we?
We're raising money through this GoFundMe to funnel cash directly through to NYC musicians, and we'll start with those who've participated in the Live at Redpoint concert series in the past.
We have to start somewhere, folks, and if the goals of this campaign are exceeded, we'll open things up to as many musicians as possible. There have been at least 100 musicians in the series who are eligible for this opportunity. It's a great place to start.
Launched in 2016, our in-office concert series, Live at Redpoint, was designed to pay artists supremely well and give local NYC musicians a chance to tell us about their music. We've had more than 30 shows since the series debuted, with music across all genres from jazz to honky tonk to mambo to opera to bluegrass...we even had a taste of Fandango in the Son Jarocho tradition of Mexico. These uber-talented folks play right in our office space, where we feed them and pepper them with questions about their music...and shower them with love and gratitude for sharing the gifts they have with us. You can find more info about this series here.
With this fundraising campaign, we will pay each musician $50 for a "mini" performance video of two songs... essentially a teeny-tiny Virtual Live at Redpoint performance. We'll post these on Redpoint's social channels, as our audiences love our concert series videos and since we can't have them while our office is temporarily closed, this is the next best thing.
Why are we asking musicians to send us videos instead of just sending them the money expecting nothing in return? Because we've learned a LOT about working with musicians through this series...and one thing we know well is this: they go stir crazy if they're not making music.
This virtual performance series gives them an opportunity to make a bit of cash AND satisfy the need to create music. Win-win.
Things you should know:
- Redpoint is contributing our own funds to this cause, with $500 in seed money to fund the first 10 musicians. This means that in order to fund $50 to a minimum of 100 musicians, an additional $4500 is needed... hence, our fundraising goal. If that goal is exceeded, we will just fund more musicians.
- The top goal of this concept is simply to get money into the hands of musicians. They don't need to produce award-winning videos. We just want them to share their craft and enjoy it.
- Your support at ANY LEVEL would be appreciated. Only have 10 bucks to spare? We'll take it. Want to "sponsor a musician?" Then $50 would be appreciated. If you can give more, that's just more musicians you're helping feed during this time! There are around 100 artists who will benefit from this campaign, so your generosity will be stretched far and wide.
- AS OF RIGHT NOW, THIS PROGRAM IS ONLY OPEN TO MUSICIANS WHO HAVE PERFORMED AT REDPOINT. Redpoint will notify the bandleaders of all the bands that have performed at Live at Redpoint to invite them to participate. They, in turn, can notify the musicians who performed with them at Redpoint. ANY musician who set foot into Redpoint for the Live series is eligible, even if they wish to perform for this virtual series with a different band or different musicians. As stated earlier, if this funding campaign dramatically exceeds its goals, we hope to open it up to other musicians.
- Musicians will get paid by Zelle or Venmo the day they send in their video, regardless of when Redpoint posts it.
- Anyone who wants an accounting of how this money is spent when the virtual series ends (and the world goes back to normal) can have one. Redpoint isn't taking a dime. 100% of the funds are being funneled directly through to the artists, even if the fundraising goal is exceeded. We'll keep the virtual concert series going as long as possible.
Listen, folks. We realize that perhaps $50 per musician isn't a ton of money, but we want to help as many artists as we can. We can't save the world, but we can do our small part to get some cash to this extremely important musical community. They bring vibrancy, culture, and inspiration to the fabric of our society, and we need to help them through this unprecedented emergency.
Note: if you are a musician who has played a Live at Redpoint show and you want to participate in this virtual series, please either contact Chris Miranda directly (y'all know how to reach her) or contact your bandleader from that performance.
Let's all help feed these musicians, shall we? Because after all, they feed our souls every day. <3
- Neal Siegal
- Patricia Morrissey
- Sherry Feldman
- Sean McGinley
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more