Train My Generation (CBO*) has been set up by a group of women and men on the island of Mfangano, Lake Victoria to attract the expertise and resources needed to regenerate the local economy, society and environment.
Launched in Feb 2022, fundraising starts in earnest now!
Here is what we are raising funds for:
1. 12 mentoring sessions for local schools over the next 6 months
2. Micro-finance funds for 30 local female entrepreneurs
3. 1,000 saplings to be planted and managed by the local community
4. 1,000 eco-friendly sanitary towels to be shared with local schools
5. Daily stipend for each of the local residents contributing to the TMG goal
6. Materials and labor to build and manage a plot of land for TMG activities
7. Transport and communication budget for community engagement activities
8. Office supplies to manage accounts, governance and donor communication
26,000 residents lack the infrastructure and investment to combat the HIV epidemic, the loss of fish stocks and habitat and the basic vocational training required to bring income into the community.
We train people; we don't give handouts.
A team of 8 volunteers on the island is connecting with public, private and charitable organizations in Kenya and beyond to bring in the required expertise, operations, and funding to focus on this critical effort. They are also setting up a micro-finance initiative so that mothers can invest in new income streams away from the collapsing fish trade.
Your contributions will ensure the team can spend all their time liaising with the community and partners, covering basic living costs and enabling them to feed their families. Our Finance Trustee will oversee all spending and report through our quarterly statements.
Outcomes expected over the next 6 months:
HIV partnership to be announced
Tree planting and island restoration partnership to be announced
Schools mentoring and sanitary towel supply to be completed
Funding for technical education to be secured
Funding for fishing training and restoration to be secured
This initial investment will enable the team to operate through till July 2023.
Thank you for your support and please get in touch with any questions or ideas.
*CBO = a registered Community Based Organisation