So here's 26 reasons to help me CRUSH child hunger in Haiti for my 26th birthday!
26.Malnutrition, specifically undernutrition, is a serious medical condition marked by a deficiency of energy, essential proteins, fats, vitamins, and minerals in a diet.
25. Malnutrition begins with inadequate intake of protein and/or energy over prolonged periods of time which results in loss of fat stores and/or muscle stores.
24. Chronic and severe malnutrition can cause permanent vision impairment.
23. Key causes of hunger are natural disasters, poverty, conflict and poor agricultural infrastructure. - All issues surrounding the southeast region of Haiti.
22. Malnutrition is the world's number one health risk.
21.Every hour, 300 children die from malnutrition and malnutrition related causes, worldwide.
20. Most of the damage caused by malnutrition occurs in children before they reach their second birthday.
19. Malnutrition weakens the body's resistance and increases the risk of dying from pneumonia, diarrhoea, malaria, measles or AIDS. Many malnourished children die because they are vulnerable to repeated bouts of disease and infection.
18. As many as 300,000 children in Haiti alone suffer from chronic malnutrition.
17. Without access to nutrient rich diets, 9 children will die every minute of causes related to malnutrition.
16. Malnutrition can also be caused by diseases, such as the diseases that cause diarrhea, by reducing the body's ability to convert food into usable nutrients.
15. Under-nutrition among pregnant women in developing countries leads to 1 out of 6 infants born with low birth weight.
14. Risks in undernourished pregnant women result in: neonatal deaths, learning disabilities, mental, retardation, poor health, blindness and premature death.
13. The causes of poverty include poor people's lack of resources, an extremely unequal income distribution in the world and within specific countries, conflict, and hunger itself.
12. Key indicators hair loss, discoloration of hair, as well as deterioration of skin, nails and loss of energy.
11. Malnourished patients are hospitalized an average of 2 days longer than those who are screened and treated early.
10. In developing countries as high as one in three children have stunted growth. This means their bodies fail to develop fully as a result of malnutrition.
9. Undernutrition accounts for 11 per cent of the global burden of disease.
8. As growth slows down, brain development lags and stunted children learn poorly.
7. Wasting and bilateral edema (swelling) are severe forms of malnutrition - resulting from acute food shortages and compounded by illness.
6. Wasting demands emergency nutritional interventions to save lives.
5. Belle-Anse is located in the southeastern department of Haiti. A region home to 70,000 people who at large have little to no access to basic medical care.
4. Belle-Anse is the home of Reimagine Haiti. Our organization is dedicated to the long-term development of sustainable solutions to issues surrounding extreme poverty.
3. Malnutrition effects countless children with our area of focus.
2. Malnutrition is one of our areas of focus and priority to combat.
and the NUMBER ONE reason to support my cause for my 26th birthday is...
1. Reimagine Haiti is currently in the process of launching our fully-functional, inpatient and outpatient Malnutrition Center. This center will be the base of operations for treating and preventing malnutrition. Through the education of parents, use of local and organic resources and Haitian made- Medika Mamba (medicinal, fortified, peanut butter), hundreds of children's lives will be saved. This will literally transform the community of Belle-Anse and provide a means of hope that has never been available.
Without the support of amazing people just like you, our malnutrition center would not be possible. This year, my goal for my birthday is to raise $3000 for the following purposes.
1. To help complete our center and increase the rate of our ability to begin seeing patients.
2. To help purchase supplies needed to perform basic procedures. I.E. - formula, Medika Mamba, feeding tubes, beds, blankets, diapers, etc...
3. Help to keep me in Belle-Anse as I assist in the malnutrition center and continue my service with Reimagine Haiti.
70% of funds raised will go directly to the completion and supplies of the malnutrition center and 30% will help me be able to continue my service!
Thank you for your love and support!
Let's CRUSH CHILD HUNGER IN HAITI!!!
DonationsSee top donations
- Patsy Knowlton
- Jonathan Atkinson
- Amy Stinnett
- Danita Estrella
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more