Did you know that 24% of people in Japan suffer from mental health issues and 1 out of 5 people have had suicidal thoughts? Behind Japan's business and technological mastery, is a culture that is struggling to find support for high stress and depression.
Our mission is to send volunteers to carry out programs to serve the vulnerable population of the island of Okinawa, Japan. This island is known to be in high poverty conditions, where 1 out of 3 children are underfed and not cared for. Additionally, child/domestic abuse is a prominent issue. Our team will be: leading depression and anxiety recovery presentations; connecting with local children (in foster homes and schools); and educating young families on how to take care of young children.
Why Okinawa? We were called upon from some of the local churches to see if we can come and help address the issues noted above. Also, some of us who are volunteers were born in Okinawa and this small island has a special place in our hearts and feel the need to return and help the community.
The cost is high and donations will help our expenses for this initiative for 2 weeks for 20 people, airfare and we are reaching out to you for help.
Here are ways to support my mission trip:
Prayer support: Strength, wisdom and fruits of the Spirit for the missionaries.
Share our mission with your network: Facebook page includes more information, a promotional video, updates and donation link: https://www.facebook.com/Okinawa-Mission-Trip-Fundraiser-1860998327486790/
Our volunteers will endeavour to:
* Present information on Neil Nedley's Depression and Anxiety recovery and prevention program in Japanese and lead sessions at the local churches for the community. Our aim is to reach the vulnerable population who have been known to struggle with work-life balance stress, addiction and abuse.
* Develop early childhood educational programs to ensure that new parents and single parents have the tools to confidently parent their children.
* Create and execute outreach programs to children, youth and young adults at locations such as foster care homes, schools and universities.
* Host "meet-ups", an opportunity for the local community to practice speaking English with our team. Our aim will be to develop relationships with the community in a casual setting and introduce them to the various programs held at the local churches.
* Foster youth leadership at Okinawa churches through AY programs and training.
* Preach and engage in music ministry to encourage the local Seventh-day Adventists. We will be visiting three (3) local churches where we will support their work.
We will withdrawal the funds and it will be transferred to the Toronto Japanese SDA Church 2017 Okinawa Mission Trip bucket and every penny will go to the mission trip.
Thank you so much for all your support.
TJSDA Mission Team
- Jenson Lam
- Lisa Hansen
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more