How to get help with moving costs

| 8 min read Uncategorized

There is a lot of time and effort that goes into moving to a new place. Aside from packing and cleaning, there are additional factors such as transportation costs and security deposits. All of these expenses add up and can be pricey. The good news is that there are ways to get help with moving costs. The resources we’ve gathered will help ease the financial burden of moving so that you can comfortably settle into your new place.

1. Use crowdfunding to get financial help

Crowdfunding can help you quickly and easily overcome the financial barriers you may face while moving. When dealing with a personal financial crisis, it can be difficult to ask for help. But with crowdfunding, it’s easy to share your fundraiser with friends and family on social media. An advantage of online fundraising on GoFundMe is that there isn’t an application process to start raising money. Additionally, you can secure funds faster than other forms of financial aid from the government or nonprofits. This is helpful because you can access the donations you receive throughout your fundraising, even before your fundraiser reaches its goal.

2. Get charity support for moving costs

There are multiple charities that provide financial aid for low-income individuals and families. Financial support ranges from short-term to long-term assistance based on each program and an individual’s situation. The following are some charities that offer help with moving expenses.

Age UK: Your Home Your Way 

Age UK offers support for all circumstances of moving – whether it’s downsizing, moving to a new part of the UK or moving following a bereavement. 

It offers packages based on:

  • Help with packing and transporting
  • Full and partial house clearance
  • Support in downsizing or donating items
  • Moving into supported living
  • Making space for extra care facilities

A cleaning service can also be provided to those who need it. 

Turn2Us grant 

Registered charitable organisations across the UK give grants to assist people in need. Grants are given to people based on their personal circumstances, for example a job you’ve worked at or a health condition you may have.

Everyone can apply for a grant and many charities will help people who cannot claim welfare benefits because of their status in the UK


The SSAFA offers practical housing advice and support to veterans and their dependents. SSAFA can offer impartial support around housing issues for those who have left the Armed Forces. 

People can be put in touch with specially trained volunteer caseworkers. A caseworker will talk with those who need assistance to find out more about their welfare needs and how SSAFA can help. 

3. Government moving assistance programs

The Government can also help people out who are facing difficulties when moving, or if they just need a bit of help understanding it all. 

By making contact with the Department of Work and Pensions, you can find out all the relevant information you need to know. 

Below are some of the Government resources available: 

DWP Discretionary Housing Payment 

Discretionary Housing Payments (DHPs) provide financial support to help with rent or housing costs.

You can apply for a DHP if you currently get either:

  • Housing Benefit
  • the housing element of Universal Credit and need more financial support with housing costs

DHP funding in England and Wales can help people with housing costs, including those affected by:

  • the benefit cap
  • removal of the spare room subsidy in the social rented sector
  • Local Housing Allowance (LHA) rates

You may get a DHP to cover housing costs for:

  • a rent shortfall
  • rent deposits
  • rent in advance if you need to move home

Universal Credit 

Universal Credit can also go towards helping with housing. 

You can apply for Universal Credit to help with living costs. Whether it can help with housing costs depends on your accommodation and how it supports you.

Your housing payment can help you pay your:

  • rent to a private landlord
  • rent and service charges if you rent from a housing association or local authority, for example council housing
  • service charges if you or your partner own the property you live in

DWP Budgeting Loans 

The Department of Work and Pensions can also help out with budgeting loans. 

A Budgeting Loan can help pay for:

  • furniture or household items (for example, washing machines or other ‘white goods’)
  • clothes or footwear
  • rent in advance
  • costs linked to moving house
  • maintenance, improvements or security for your home
  • travelling costs within the UK
  • costs linked to getting a new job
  • maternity costs
  • funeral costs
  • repaying hire purchase loans
  • repaying loans taken for the above items

To get a Budgeting Loan you must have been getting one or more of these benefits for the past 6 months:

  • Income Support
  • income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Pension Credit

Local Welfare Support

You can also receive support on a more local level from your nearest local authority. 

Depending on which council service you use, you can get specific support. The availability and level of support will vary between different authorities, though. 

An example of how this can work can be seen through Leeds Council’s offering. 

Leeds Council’s Local Welfare Support Scheme (LWSS) can provide support with:

  • food and fuel costs
  • the purchase of essential appliances and furniture
  • the purchase of carpets
  • removal costs for people fleeing violence or the threat of violence

There is a certain criteria to be eligible though. According to the council’s website, you may be eligible for support if you:

  • are a Leeds resident
  • are aged 16 years or over
  • have insufficient funds available for the support you require
  • are entitled to, or applying for, one or more of the following benefits:
  • Universal Credit
  • Housing Benefit
  • Income Support
  • Job Seekers Allowance
  • Employment and Support Allowance
  • Guaranteed Pension Credit
  • Council Tax Support
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Working Tax Credit

Short Term Benefit Advance

You can also get an advance on your benefit payment if you are struggling financially. 

You can ask for an advance if you’ve recently applied for:

  • Universal Credit
  • Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
  • Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Carer’s Allowance
  • Pension Credit
  • State Pension

You’ll be told when you’ll be paid and how much. You’ll usually be paid on the same day or the next working day. It’ll be paid into your bank or Post Office account.

Stories of people using GoFundMe to get help with moving costs

Every day, people start a GoFundMe for their needs and dreams. If you’re in need of rent relief, GoFundMe is here to help. The following are stories of individuals who have created a fundraiser to get help with moving expenses:

Masters Student Nurse finish her course.

Heidi Bowden, a student nurse who worked through the ‘thick of Covid’ said she was unable to afford her rent to finish her degree, as the cost of living crisis worsened in the UK. Following a series of setbacks, Heidi was struggling to pay for her final two months rent and her degree. She launched a fundraiser, outlining her story, and was able to raise hundreds. 

Help Greene Family’s Moving Costs

Heather, a single mum, and her two kids were notified by their landlord that they need to evacuate their home. Heather and her family have lived in their home for fourteen years, and her daughter is medically fragile. Heather is also dealing with health problems herself. Her family is barely getting by and can’t afford a moving truck, application fees, a security deposit, and more. Since her daughter uses a wheelchair, Heather will also need to cover the expense of a wheelchair ramp for their new place. Overwhelmed by everything that is happening and needing extra financial support, Heather started a GoFundMe.

Help the Cooke Family with Moving Costs

Brian and his family faced losing the home that they’ve lived in for twenty years. Their landlord decided to sell the property, leaving Brian and his family in a tough financial spot. Brian is the sole provider of his family and works full time to support them. Unfortunately, rent in California has skyrocketed, making it hard to relocate within California. Brian’s friends, Aska, Harpeet, and Benjamin, started a team fundraiser on GoFundMe on behalf of Brian to help him and his family pay for moving costs and their security deposit for their new home. The fundraiser has helped Brian and his family settle in their new residence.

Start raising money to cover moving costs

Moving to a new home comes with a lot of expenses. If you need emergency rental assistance or emergency financial assistance, GoFundMe is here to support you every step of the way. Crowdfunding takes the fear out of asking for help from your network of family and friends. It’s easy to start a fundraiser on GoFundMe. Start today to begin raising money for relocation assistance.

Written by Brittany Chambers

I believe we all have the power to make a difference. Through informative and heartfelt content, I hope to create change and inspire others to give back to those who need it most.