18
18
2

Sara: young mother, invasive cancer

$3,775 of $20,000 goal

Raised by 18 people in 13 months
Created January 29, 2018
Teri Hastings
on behalf of Sara Hastings-Johnson

The above two photos are recent and demonstrate the devastation that stage 3 invasive ductile carcinoma breast cancer has had on my lovely (inside and out) daughter. This type of cancer is fueled by estrogen, progesterone, and HER2 +, a protein that aggressively promotes growth of cancer cells. Cancer has spread throughout her lymphatic system in addition to her breasts.  She was diagnosed in October 2017.

She has undergone almost 5 months of chemo. Next she will undergo radiation therapy followed by a double mastectomy, and either a hysterectomy or 10 years of hormone suppression meds. 

Sara is a young mother, wife, a hard working breadwinner who has too much living to get on with. She is well-loved, tries to stay  positive, and has a lot of grit to where she can care for her family.

Everyday she gets up, puts her boots on, gets her kids to school and then works all day as a business analyst for a financial organization.  She takes all that normal stress in stride, even with fatigue and pain. 

There is  the stress of the cancer diagnosis, which she deals with as best she can. However the associated stressors are significant and interfering with her recovery at this point.

Money is a huge, dire problem.  Although she has decent insurance (pays 80%) the other 20% that she has to cover is growing past her control.  It is causing severe financial hardship to where she is unable to meet her basic needs such as shelter and food, not to mention out of pocket medication and other "luxuries."

Treatment is very expensive. Bill collectors are already after her and 1/3 of her monthly salary has been garnished to pay medical bills after only 5 months of treatment! There is also the issue of lost wages. Many times she has been too sick to go to work. She has used all of her sick leave, so if she is too sick to work -  more lost wages. 

This feels unfair and very heartbreaking. The aggressive bill collection is drowning her spirits and is making it difficult to keep food on the table. Help me to help her reduce this money stress.  We all thank you in advance to any donation you are able to make.
+ Read More

$3,775 of $20,000 goal

Raised by 18 people in 13 months
Created January 29, 2018
Teri Hastings
on behalf of Sara Hastings-Johnson
Your share could be bringing in donations. Sign in to track your impact.
   Connect
We will never post without your permission.
In the future, we'll let you know if your sharing brings in any donations.
We weren't able to connect your Facebook account. Please try again later.
RR
$250
Rebekah Rimes
13 months ago
EH
$100
Eric Hollenbeck
13 months ago
JL
$100
Jessie Lord
13 months ago
GP
$200
Gretchen Petersen
13 months ago
PT
$500
Pam Taylor
13 months ago
$250
Nicole Tarleton
13 months ago
JP
$75
Jill Roby Pike
13 months ago
CH
$50
Carrie Hoines
13 months ago
MT
$100
Michael Teutsch
13 months ago
MH
$100
Matt Harris
13 months ago
or
Use My Email Address
By continuing, you agree with the GoFundMe
terms and privacy policy
There's an issue with this Campaign Organizer's account. Our team has contacted them with the solution! Please ask them to sign in to GoFundMe and check their account. Return to Campaign

Are you ready for the next step?
Even a $5 donation can help!
Donate Now Not now
Connect on Facebook to keep track of how many donations your share brings.
We will never post on Facebook without your permission.