Weymouth Punch & Judy
The Weymouth Punch and Judy show is under threat!
Grab this chance to get involved with our campaign to SAVE MR PUNCH and stop him from disappearing from Weymouth beach.
Up until 2016 Mark Poulton was able to perform a ‘full’ summer season working 7 days a week (weather permitting) from the end of May until early September (about 17 weeks).
Since then he has found it is now only viable to work the main school holidays (about 7 weeks).
He’s also had to cut his evening shows as the seafront has become too quiet to justify evening performances. The school groups that used to visit the show in early July have slowly stopped coming due to school budget cuts and the cost of transport.
However, the annual expenses remain the same, so unless he receives some outside support he will not be able to continue with the show after the 2018 summer season.
Why is it important to keep Punch & Judy in Weymouth?
Mark is the current custodian of a long heritage of Punch Professors and he's a very talented and unique artist. Weymouth needs him and Mr Punch.
1.) it is a continuous tradition in Weymouth that stretches back to the 1880‘s making it an important part of Weymouth’s history;
2.) it continues to be very popular with grandparents, parents and children – There are lots of unsolicited “5-star” reviews on his Face Book page left by people who have seen the show in recent times;
3.) it is a great asset to Weymouth and a wonderful tourism attraction.
As Mark explains:
“During the summer I can draw big crowds to the show, in fact many people come to Weymouth purely to see the rare sight of a Punch & Judy still operating a beach pitch.
• I’ve had people from America, Australia come to see the show to tick it off their ‘bucket list’.
• I can draw and hold big crowds on the beach but not everyone puts a donation in the box.
• The show gets good publicity and its image has also featured on many TV broadcasts.”
How you can help…
Although we will be seeking help and support from W&P Borough Council and local traders and businesses need the support of the local community and visitors too.
Your donation will go toward additional expenses in running the show, including:
• Maintenance of the puppets and the stage;
• Secure storage of the stage and other equipment when not in use;
• cost of site for the camper van – “living quarters” – during the performing season;
• some day to day expenses while in Weymouth.;
• perhaps, more importantly, the success of this Just Giving campaign will demonstrate the strength of support from the local and visitor communities when we seek sponsorship from local businesses and from the Council for the 2019 season and beyond.
Many people have already donated and with lots of us working together now to ensure the future of the show - that brings lots of fun and laughter to so many people – please – ACT NOW by making just a small donation today. And please, share this with your friends.
We will keep you posted with updates on Face Book here: https://www.facebook.com/weymouthpunchjudy/
“That’s the way to do it!”