664
664
69

Please Help Save Noodles

$18,693 of $20,000 goal

Raised by 716 people in 8 months
Created May 4, 2018
It’s with a very heavy heart that we reach out to you all for the second time, in order to save Noodles life.

Just 4 short months after Noodles’ first brain surgery he is back in the ICU at U-Vet Werribee Animal Hospital, and this time it’s for a completely different problem which has now affected the shunt that was placed in his brain 4 months ago.



On Thursday 3rd May at about 7pm we noticed that Noodles was trembling, his breathing was heavy and fast, his eyes were squinty, and he had no energy. He wouldn’t even sniff his favourite treat. Straight away we jumped in the car and raced off to the vet. When we arrived they immediately took Noodles out the back to check him over and perform some tests. We thought it had to be to do with the Hydrocephalus or the shunt in his brain, there’s no way it could be another problem.. But we were wrong. They told us that his temperature, heart rate, and blood pressure were much too high and that they believed he could have a Septic Abdomen.

We left Noodles there overnight so they could try to stabilise him and put him on a drip. At 3.30am we received a call from the vet asking for permission to get the specialist Imaging team to come in overnight rather than wait until the next day to perform an ultrasound and try to determine what was going on in his abdomen. She said waiting until the morning could be detrimental to his life at this point in time, so we agreed to pay extra for the team to come in outside of normal hours.

In the morning we got a call with what they had found overnight. His temperature, heart rate and blood pressure had not dropped, there was a build up of fluid in the abdomen which had a lot of bacteria present in it and was causing infection, and they had taken a sample of CSF from the shunt to make sure there was no bacteria in there too but there was. They couldn’t see what was causing the fluid in the abdomen so immediate explorative surgery was to be performed. They discovered that the shunt that was inserted in January was infected and was poisoning the body, so the decision was made to remove the shunt altogether, and completely flush the body of the infection. They sterilised the inside of his body and have put him on antibiotics to try and wipe out the infection. Now it’s a matter of letting his body do what it’s made for, and fight the infection. Once the infection is gone he will go through ANOTHER surgery to place a new shunt system into his brain.

Having no shunt in for the next two weeks means that there is nothing to combat his Hydrocephalus. Fluid will start building up on the brain again and there is increased risk that he may go downhill Neurologically and could suffer from more brain damage. It was a gamble taking the shunt out but the infection in his body was the immediate risk on his life and if that infection travelled up the shunt and into his brain then it’s game over for him, so it was the best option.

At the moment the real fear is that his whole body will go septic and his whole system will be poisoned. They are also fearful that he may go into shock. He is being monitored very closely in the ICU and treated by the very best team.

We really hate to reach out for help again, as we already received an incredible amount of support for his last surgery, however as his first surgery was only 4 months ago we haven’t had enough time to save up so much money. His ondition is also preexisting so he is not insured for it. With the tests, explorative surgery, the next shunt placement brain surgery in two weeks, and all of the time he is spending in ICU we have been quoted about $17,000-$20,000. We understand that so many people helped us the first time around and we do not want anyone to feel pressured to help us, so only donate if you can really afford it and want to.

Noodles means the absolute world to us and the fact that all of this has happened to him in just 10 months of life is devastating and so unfair. We really believe that the love and prayers we received last time pulled him through it, and we’re hoping that it does again this time around.

Thank you so much in advance for all of your support, we appreciate it more than words could ever describe.

For regular updates on Noodles progress you can follow him on Instagram @noodlesthedachsie. We will be posting updates as soon as we hear them for ourselves x




+ Read More
Update 8
Posted by Liz Stephenson
2 months ago
   Share
Hi everyone,
It’s been 5 months now since Noodles’ last surgery and we wanted to let you all know that he’s been doing AMAZINGLY. We’ve had no issues at all and he’s now the strongest, happiest and healthiest that he’s ever been.
We’re taking him on adventures every second weekend to do things he’s never done before and making the most of his special life.

Thank you all again, a million times over, for helping to give our little man another chance at the life he deserves. We will be forever grateful❤️
+ Read More
Update 7
Posted by Liz Stephenson
8 months ago
   Share
1
1
Hi everyone, the surgery yesterday couldn’t have gone any better! The vets were all really happy with how it went.
Today they are doing a Neuro exam to see how his Neurological state is and whether there has been further deterioration.
We’re not out of the woods yet but we’re past the worst of it now☀️
+ Read More
Update 6
Posted by Liz Stephenson
8 months ago
   Share
It’s surgery day tomorrow, everyone please keep your toes and fingers crossed for Noodles. Thank you again for making this surgery possible for us, and giving us the opportunity to do absolutely everything we can to try and give him the happy, healthy life he deserves❤️
+ Read More
Update 5
Posted by Liz Stephenson
8 months ago
   Share
Update on Noodles:
Noodles was taken in to hospital on Saturday morning after we woke up to find a big build up of fluid under the skin around the stitches on his head. The fluid was drained and we were told that it was just a Seroma, which is pretty harmless and quite common after surgery.
We took him back in on Monday to have his head checked because the fluid had built up again, and we were told that unless it got bigger and started putting pressure on the stitches then we didn’t need to worry.

By Thursday afternoon the build up on his head had gotten huge and his behaviour had shifted. He was crying, stumbling when he walked, and just seemed really flat. So off to the hospital we went again, and he was admitted overnight for a few checks and tests.
It was discovered that the fluid wasn’t a seroma after all and that it is actually CSF from the brain, leaking from the hole that was left after the shunt was removed. The Neurology team have never seen this before so contacted an animal hospital in Germany who place heaps of shunts, and even they have never seen it, so it’s practically unheard of (in dogs anyway, they’re going to research whether there are studies of it happening in humans).

The fluid was tested and there doesn’t appear to be any evidence of bacteria or infection, so that’s a good thing. He is coming home tonight, and next week will go back into hospital for assessment and so we can talk about when the next surgery will be to place a new shunt, and block the existing hole in the brain.

Thank you for your ongoing support during this time, it means the world to us.
+ Read More
Read a Previous Update

$18,693 of $20,000 goal

Raised by 716 people in 8 months
Created May 4, 2018
Your share could be bringing in donations. Sign in to track your impact.
   Connect
We will never post without your permission.
In the future, we'll let you know if your sharing brings in any donations.
We weren't able to connect your Facebook account. Please try again later.
CC
$50
Courtney Collings
11 days ago
HG
$10
Helen Greeson
4 months ago
AA
$5
Anonymous A
5 months ago
$10
Teagan Parks
5 months ago
BC
$5
Bel C
5 months ago
MC
$20
Melanie Costabile
5 months ago
ES
$15
Emily Simm
6 months ago
HH
$5
Heidi Hogan
6 months ago
LH
$5
Liz Hurls
6 months ago
DM
$25
Daniel Medina
7 months ago
or
Use My Email Address
By continuing, you agree with the GoFundMe
terms and privacy policy
There's an issue with this Campaign Organizer's account. Our team has contacted them with the solution! Please ask them to sign in to GoFundMe and check their account. Return to Campaign

Are you ready for the next step?
Even a $5 donation can help!
Donate Now Not now
Connect on Facebook to keep track of how many donations your share brings.
We will never post on Facebook without your permission.