Saying Goodbye to Arlen

$2,700 of $10,000 goal

Raised by 33 people in 44 months
Arlen Lahrs, Fox to many, has been fighting a heroic fight for the past 5 weeks. Unfortunately, the family was given the news that it is time to say good-bye. Arlen was removed from the ventilator on the evening of March 21st. He continues to be aware of his surroundings, but his communication has become very minimal. We continue to pray for his peaceful passing and for his family to find comfort in this time of grief. There will be updates to follow along with a description of his illness and what has occurred.

We are asking for donations to assist with Roxie's missed work time while she spends these last days by Arlen's side, upcoming funeral expenses, medical related expenses and any other expense the family sees fit.

We ask for your continued prayers as our God welcomes Arlen home.
+ Read More
Many have asked about Arlen's illness. His sister, Colleen, was kind enough to write out a series of events that led up to him meeting the Lord. Please keep Roxie and the family in your prayers as they move forward.

March 6: Roxie, Arlen’s wife, posted that she and Arlen needed extra prayer angels as he had been in the hospital for over 2 weeks and the Drs. weren’t having any luck finding out why Arlen was suffering with muscle fatigue, a rash on his forehead and stomach and his stomach really hurting. The drs took blood and also did a muscle biopsy.
March 11: in the evening it was believed that Arlen was having a heart attack. At this point he had been in the hospital for 3 weeks. He was transferred to a different hospital. He didn’t have a heart attack. Now the Drs. were thinking he had a bowel obstruction. The heart doctor didn’t like the way his stomach looked, so he called in a gastroenterologist (I think that’s the right name for stomach doctor). He is now at Bryan East in Lincoln and moved to ICU. He was going to have more tests and perhaps exploratory surgery.
March 12: Surgery at 1pm. At 8pm Brent called me and said that Arlen had made it through surgery. The Drs took 30” of his small intestine. It was septic. His kidneys are in rough shape. They have been through a lot with all the medications that he has been on. The next 72 hours are very crucial.
March 13: Overnight was good. The drs are going to keep him sedated through Monday so that his kidneys can have some time to come back. He is resting.
March 15: We received a text from Roxie…Arlen was awake. The drs were taking out the ventilator today. The rest of the day and Monday, the 16th Arlen had really good days. He asked to see his grandkids and was giving the staff a hard time. The drs were even thinking of taking him off the critical list.
March 17: Warren, Doris, Curt & I went to Lincoln to visit Arlen and Roxie. Arlen had a bit of a setback. They found a mass in the lower left quadrant of his left lung. The drs. did a bronchial scope and took a sizable amount of junk. He is on antibiotics so they are watching his lungs. They also did a Doppler on his legs to check for blood clots. That was clear. Small step to the good. His kidneys are still not functioning the way they should so they are keeping an eye on that also. Still critical…
March 19: His condition is worsening. His kidneys were not coming back as quickly as they should so he was put on dialysis the day before. They think he now has pneumonia and was also put on the ventilator to help him breathe so his lungs didn’t have to work as hard. His muscle fatigue and skin rash had been diagnosed as dermatomyositis. It shares many characteristics with autoimmune disorders in which your immune system attacks your own body tissues. This happened to Arlen, along with septic shock from the small intestine. There is no known cure nor known therapy. This is a day to day situation where if one thing is making it worse, they try something else.
March 20: Dialysis went well in the morning. Heart rate is high, still on the ventilator. Still the underlying fact of the dermatomysitis & the dr says there’s cancer but can’t find it. His muscle enzymes are high. Platelets are very low…it is minute by minute…day by day. We have decisions to make in the next few days. Son Jeff from Washington arrived about 1am.
March 21: Dialysis was good. Yesterday and today, 6lbs of fluid was removed from his body. This has made it easier for his lungs to work although they aren’t able to work to capacity because his stomach is in the way. This is because of his septic and also because he is laying down. He is very weak. Brent arrived this afternoon. The family had a meeting and it was decided at 6:30pm the ventilator would be pulled from Arlen. Roxie, Brent, Jeff, Kourtnie, Kathy, Mike Gunderson, Curt and I were standing around his bed, we shared a prayer and we shared our goodbyes. Arlen was breathing on his own. His heart was strong and oxygen level good. He looked around, said, “I love you, goodbye everybody, and I’m ready to go”. We are still standing around his bed and I tell him I could sing him a song. He said No! He said that really fast!
March 22: Today is Sunday. Arlen held his own up to about noon. Then we noticed he didn’t open his eyes as often although he still acknowledged the person talking to him. Curt & I left Lincoln for home about 2. Warren and Doris left about 3 and said his breathing was more labored. Curt and I decided to come home because of work, which stinks but we also know that Arlen knew we loved him and we know that he knows his Lord.
March 23: At 4:50am Jeff called to say that the good Lord had called Arlen home at about 4:40am. Rest in peace Arlen.
March 28: Roxie posted this: Today I buried my best friend and the love of my life. It has been a great 14 years & 7 months. You were the best husband, dad, grandpa, uncle, brother (in-law too) and friend anyone could have asked for. You were loved by many. We have been so blessed. You always told me “you’ll miss me when I’m gone” and sweetheart you’re so right. I miss you so much already. All my Love Always.
+ Read More
Arlen's boys won tonight, 5-3 against the Lancers. I'm pretty sure their #1 fan had a little something to do with it.
+ Read More
Thank you to everyone who has showed your support to Roxie and family. The outpouring of support and prayers has proven how many lives Arlen touched.
+ Read More
Today we say goodbye one last time. Until we meet again my friend, you'll remain in my heart forever.
+ Read More
Read a Previous Update
Be the first to leave a comment on this campaign.

$2,700 of $10,000 goal

Raised by 33 people in 44 months
Created March 22, 2015
Your share could be bringing in donations. Sign in to track your impact.
We will never post without your permission.
In the future, we'll let you know if your sharing brings in any donations.
We weren't able to connect your Facebook account. Please try again later.
Jenny Sherrill
44 months ago

Thinking of you Roxie! So sorry for your loss.

Tami & Jess Damian
44 months ago

You lived well my friend! You loved well. We will sincerely miss your grin & jokes at the STARs games. Your friends in Section A. Tami & Jess Damian

Forfar Family
44 months ago

Karen, Alan, Aric, Chris and Luke

Terry/Blake Christensen
44 months ago

Dear Roxey, I am so sorry to hear about Arlen. You have both had such a positive impact on so many young men who have played with the Lincoln Stars. My son Blake loved having Arlen and you as his Billet Parents and I will be forever grateful for everything you have both done for him. I know that Arlen is in a good place right now and we are all happy that he is not suffering and is in Gods Hands. Your Friend, Terry

Jeff Harris
44 months ago

So sorry for your loss, Arlin was a great man, and loved by our whole family. Sorry we couldn't be there Friday, we will be out of town. Love You the Harris family

Kellie and Blake Christensen
44 months ago

The love and kindness that Arlen shared with us will live on in our hearts forever. He is now our angel in heaven above watching over and protecting us. Sending much love and strength your way today, Roxie. XO Hugs, Kellie, Blake and Terry Lee

Rod and Connie Schwindt
44 months ago

We will miss you dear friend!

Be the first to leave a comment on this campaign.
Use My Email Address
By continuing, you agree with the GoFundMe
terms and privacy policy
There's an issue with this Campaign Organizer's account. Our team has contacted them with the solution! Please ask them to sign in to GoFundMe and check their account. Return to Campaign

Are you ready for the next step?
Even a $5 donation can help!
Donate Now Not now
Connect on Facebook to keep track of how many donations your share brings.
We will never post on Facebook without your permission.