Nik Schreiner vs. Brain Tumor
My brother-in-law Nik was rushed to the hospital on 09/28/17 in severe pain and the "worst headache he's ever had." It was at their local ER they found on a CT scan a large mass on his brain.
He was then taken by ambulance to another hospital for more testing. That's when his mother and my sister were given the devastating news that the mass was in fact an extremely large tumor on the front-right of his brain.
Surgery is slated for 10/03/17 to remove approximately 80% of the tumor. We are praying for it to be removed successfully and that it comes back to be non-cancerous. Brain surgery is extremely risky and we are also hopeful that it can be removed without causing any long-term damage to any of his functions.
If it comes back cancerous, he'll have to go through radiation and chemotherapy to try and kick cancer in the you know what. We ask for your continued prayers this won't be the case!
In the meantime, he will be off work for an extensive amount of time. The same with my sister, Ashlie, while she is at the hospital and cares for him and their three-year-old son during this time.
As mentioned above, Nik and Ashlie are the proud parents to a three-year-old here on earth and another baby boy in heaven.
Even after they get through this, there will be expensive medical bills to contend with that will only make their recovery harder to deal with while swimming in medical debt.
Any amount is appreciated to help them during this extremely difficult time.
Nik had a nice Christmas with family and was able to open gifts with their son, Cooper, for a little while.
They're starting double-doses of chemo now for 5 out of every 28 days instead of one dose every day.
He'll have another scan done in two weeks to see how his first round of radiation went.
Obviously, your continued prayers and support is appreciated beyond words for Nik, for healing, for understanding, and for Ashlie and Cooper.
They had their first appointment with his Hematology Oncology doctor. That appointment gave them some more updated information. As the pathology results continue to come in they're starting to know more about the tumor on a molecular level. Unfortunately, what they classified as a grade 2 tumor is now showing as grade 3. This means chemo and radiation every day for 6 months. At the 6 month point if he can't stand it anymore, then they stop. If he is tolerating it, they press on for another 6 months.
Nik remains positive and is just glad to be home. He is ready for the chemo & radiation battle ahead and to continue all 3 therapists (OT, PT, and speech) 2-3 times a week.
Words cannot express how much all the kind words, prayers, and support means!
My sister said he is progressing well with his different therapies. He still has a long road ahead to get to as close to normal as he can, but he's so determined she has no doubt he will.
They also were given the pathology results... The mass that had to be left behind in his head has pockets of malignancy. They rate them on a grading scale and his is a grade 2. They will be meeting with his oncologist soon to know the plan of attack but it will most likely be a combo of radiation and chemo, once he's fully healed from surgery.
If you'd like to send Nik a card or a note (they brighten his day), please contact me for the address.
Let's keep sharing and spreading the word to help them as much as we can. It's going to be a long road but I know that thanks to all of you and your prayers it will help make it a little bit easier. THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart and I know my sister feels the same way.
Today's update from Ashlie:
Nik is progressing nicely. He's a tough cookie and determined to get his left side going again. His left leg is working much better and he's been walking with his physical therapist in the hall. His left arm has made improvements but not as quickly as he would like (the determination drives him to keep working on it). The doctors and team are impressed by the progress he's made on his own and with the therapists.
They're waiting for everything to clear for his transfer to the acute rehab center. That's where he'll really get to go after the skills that need to be relearned.
They are still waiting on the final pathology report to know if the tumor is cancerous and what will be the plan in regards to the portion of the tumor that they had to leave in his head. Any plans for that won't start till after he's healed from the surgery.