Near-Space STEM Balloon Project
The Nashua Area Radio Club is working to provide a STEM learning opportunity and project to be planned and executed by young people. The Nashua Area Radio Club is working with local schools and other youth organizations to benefit from this learning project.
Our goals for the project include:
· The building, launching, recovery, and post-flight data analysis of a high-altitude balloon ascending to near-space and back, using an on-board atmospheric data collection and an amateur radio transmitter to enable ground tracking
· Enabling young people to plan and execute the project with help and guidance from members of the Nashua Area Radio Club and supporting adults from organizations that wish to assist us
Helping young people gain STEM-based experience by handling all phases of the project including:
· Planning the flight, the balloon configuration, and its payload
· Building the balloon and testing it on the ground
· Launching, tracking, and recovering the balloon’s payload
· Collecting and analyzing atmospheric data
· Creating a presentation to be delivered to fellow students and other interested groups about the project
Our goal is to launch this year, with your help we can make a fantastic learning experience for the youth in our communities.
Please be as generous as you are able and please share with your friends.
If you work with youth organizations and would like to partner with us on this exciting project, please contact us .
We are working on bringing a third school on board and hope to have that done shortly. We are also working with teachers in our partner schools to develop a syllabus that combines in-classroom lessons with hands-on learning to plan, build and launch our High-Altitude Balloon carrying Amateur Radio. We are also planning a tour of a local Amateur Radio station and other activities for the kids to reinforce the STEM learning aspects of our project and to spark further interest in Amateur Radio.
We are getting very close to our goal! Please help us get over the top. Your contributions mean a great deal to the kids and to us at the Nashua Area Radio Club. Please help us if you can.
We are hoping to raise more than our goal. If this happens, we will be able to invest in additional equipment and add some more science experiments to our balloon flight.
Thanks again to everyone who has helped us!!
Best and 73,
- Fred, AB1OC
President, Nashua Area Radio Club
Brian, AB1ZO our team leader for science and flight planning and he is working on some interesting science experiments to add to the radio payload that our balloon will be carrying.