$1,445 of $5,000 goal

Raised by 30 people in 1 month
We recently learned that Doyle has cancer. 

(In my story below I have tried to keep things simple, yet clear, understanding there are many variables and nuances with cancer and medicine - but I don't want to bog down this narrative with all the what "ifs and possibilities" - however if you have any questions at all just ask me.)

Since June, we have done numerous tests to determine why Doyle has elevated liver enzymes. After being on a waiting list for quite sometime, we finally saw an internal medicine specialist in January . During this visit we learned that Doyle has a mass in his liver and in his bladder.  The mass in his bladder is thought to be transitional cell carcinoma, or TCC and the mass in his liver is undetermined. We then saw an oncologist who performed more tests. We were given three options: 

1. Surgery and chemo to remove the masses, but  that would risk spreading the cancer to other parts of the body, or
2. Chemotherapy to try to stop the growth of the cancers, or 
3. Do nothing 

I went through a wide range of emotions upon receiving this news. At first I thought I would do nothing, as I did not want to put him through surgery or to have him sick from chemotherapy.  However, after speaking with the oncologist and my own veterinarian and getting a lot of questions answered, I have decided to proceed with option 2 - chemotherapy to slow or stop the growth of the tumors. 

The oncologist told me his liver could handle the chemo, and that it is most likely that he will not live long enough to reach a point where his liver could not handle the chemo. (not sure that I liked that answer for the obvious reason, but...) She also told me that the chemo would not be detrimental to his fistula and that it could actually help it. She also told me that dogs do not get as sick as humans from chemo and it is possible he can feel pretty good. 

The surgery is risky because cutting into the tumor could seed it and it could spread to other parts of the body.  It would also remove a large portion of his liver. And it very expensive ($5,000 - $7,000) and would have to be followed by chemotherapy, basically doubling the cost.  I do not want to put him through a major surgery with these risks and the cost is so high. 

The oncologist said that if we are able to stop the growth of the tumor with chemotherapy he could live another year. 

I have never not given my dog what he needs due to cost. However, I am facing the reality that I have reached my limit and I am struggling with many conflicting emotions about this. I do not like to or want to ask for help, but I simply cannot afford this treatment - but don't feel right doing nothing. 

It currently costs me $264 a month for Doyle's medications, his liver supplements and his special diet. The cost for all his tests and specialists to get to the cancer diagnosis and treatment plan has cost $3,179.29. 
(I can provide copies of all the bills.)

Doyle's chemotherapy treatment is approx. $600 every 3 weeks - and he has to have it "for the rest of his life" which if I am lucky would be 1 year.  He also needs periodic blood tests and ultrasounds to check his progress, which is about $700 - $800. (I can provide copies of all the bills.)

I am setting up this "More Days For Doyle" Fundraiser to try to raise money to help pay for his chemo in the hopes that he can be with us as long as he possibly can with a good quality of life.  We will be concurrently seeing our holistic veterinarian, Dr. Gundersen, to do whatever we can naturally to support his immune system and fight the cancer. 

The first treatment was Friday February 22 and we will continue as long as he we can afford to and as long as he can tolerate it and that we have evidence that it is working.  

Right now Doyle does not act sick. Other than some weight loss and drinking more water than usual, he is still the same old "Doyle." He is happy, he is playful, he has a good appetite, he goes for walks, he chews his bones, he plays with his brother, he gives kisses and cuddles and snuggles.  He is a rock to Bruno, he is my little baby Doyle, and he means so much to our family. 

When I first started volunteering with Out of the Pits, Doyle was taken from a home where he was kept in a basement, tied to a boiler. He was only 6 months old. There were no available foster homes so he was boarded at a kennel. I used to visit him weekly to walk him and take him to adoption clinics.  I instantly fell in love. The poor puppy was getting no training in the kennel and absolutely HATED being there. He would literally scream when I brought him back. So, I started taking him home on weekends. Weekends turned into long weekends, which eventually turned into full time fostering, which ended in the best kind of failure - ADOPTION.  He was a perfect fit with our other dogs and he needed someone to be patient with him and give him the boundaries and discipline he needed. My favorite memory of him as a puppy is that to get attention he would pull books off the shelf and run around the house with them so I would chase him. All of my books have teeth marks in the corners. Most of my tupperware lids do too, as he is a terrible counter surfer. 

Eventually he learned the rules and matured. Although he will never, ever lose his mischievous side, he is a very good dog.  Everyone who meets him instantly falls in love. You cannot NOT love Doyle!

If there is anything you can do to help us I would be deeply and forever grateful.  Please keep him in your prayers. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. 


+ Read More
3/19 Update
Doyle had his second chemo treatment on Friday 3/15. We wore our matching "More Days for Doyle" T-shirts! Everyone loved them and I think it made him feel extra special. He did great and we are now four days after the treatment and he has not had any ill side effects. Eating like a champ, going for walks and celebrating St. Patrick's day in style! All the love, support and prayers he is getting is helping him immensely! Thank you so much for your donations and prayers - We could not do this for Doyle without you <3
If you would like to get a "More Days For Doyle" Tshirt, please visit: https://www.cafepress.com/tpbprincess/15873459
+ Read More
3/1 Update:
Yesterday Doyle had a CBC test to check his white blood cell count, as the chemotherapy could make them drop to dangerously low levels.
We got great news - while his were low, they were in the range of normal, so he is doing great!
He will continue with the chemotherapy every three weeks and and we'll do a recheck ultrasound to measure his tumor to see if it has stopped growing.
We cannot put into words how much your love, support and generosity means to us. Thank you!
More Days for Doyle - Doyle Rules!
+ Read More
2/24 Update:
Doyle had his first chemotherapy treatment on Friday. It went very well and the vet tech told me all he did was kiss her during the entire procedure! That's my boy. I slept with him that night to make sure he was OK.
So far he has no adverse side effects, but it is not until days 3 - 5 after treatment that GI upset usually occurs. We do, however have anti-nausea medication to give him if that happens.
He will also get a follow up blood test on Day 7 to check his white blood cell count. If it is too low they will adjust his dose.
Thank you again for keeping him in your thoughts and prayers and for your generous support to help me give him this medical treatment!
Kisses from Mr. Doyle! <3
+ Read More
Read a Previous Update

$1,445 of $5,000 goal

Raised by 30 people in 1 month
Your share could be bringing in donations. Sign in to track your impact.
We will never post without your permission.
In the future, we'll let you know if your sharing brings in any donations.
We weren't able to connect your Facebook account. Please try again later.
5 days ago
7 days ago
Barbara Geartz
11 days ago
Deborah Skeath
11 days ago
Michelle Lauer
16 days ago
21 days ago
Terri Carlson
22 days ago
Susan Leonard
23 days ago
Linda Shooer
23 days ago
Linda Harper
23 days ago
Use My Email Address
By continuing, you agree with the GoFundMe
terms and privacy policy
There's an issue with this Campaign Organizer's account. Our team has contacted them with the solution! Please ask them to sign in to GoFundMe and check their account. Return to Campaign

Are you ready for the next step?
Even a $5 donation can help!
Donate Now Not now
Connect on Facebook to keep track of how many donations your share brings.
We will never post on Facebook without your permission.