Lube: World Premiere in NYC
The Creative Team is proud to announce the WORLD PREMIERE of LUBE: A MODERN LOVE STORY . Lube is a gay-themed, Broadway-style musical that will be staged in SPRING 2019 in New York City, sponsored by the Emerging Artists Theatre as part of their New Works Series , and being staged at the TaDa! Theater . Watch a sampler of music videos from the show below!!
Lube is the first musical to address the unique experience of growing up gay. It deals with prejudice, bigotry, bullying, and religious persecution. But it also deals with friendship, changing attitudes, and acceptance -- especially what is sometimes that hardest of all: self: acceptance. The moral of the show is summarized in a line performed in a climatic scene by Queen Angel herself: "Just love yourself; the rest will fall in place."
Lube is also an out-of-the-box attempt to address the national epidemic that is young adult suicide, especially among young gay adults. We are trying to show at-risk folks that things do get better. We want to stage a show that they can directly relate to the main characters. They can walk out of the show saying to themselves what straights have said for centuries with characters they can directly identify with: "They are like me. They found someone and fell in love. They overcame their problems and lived happily ever after. That could happen to me!"
We're running this fundraiser to help ensure the best quality show, a performance that will hopefully attract a producer for an Off-Broadway run, and perhaps even the holy grail itself, a Broadway production. The dates of the premiere are not set, but will be held next Spring (2019). We hope to raise at least a few thousand dollars which will let us run at least two shows a week for the three weeks of the New Works Festival.
There's lots of things we need money for, like paying a Director, Musical Director, Choreographer, actors, singers, dancers, back-stage staff, a band to play the music, props, costumes, professional recordings of the tracks, creating a cast album of the music, printing scripts, posters, playbills... and the list goes on and on. So if you can spare even $5, it would mean a world of difference. If you can help out, please donate.
Since the show is premiering next spring, we need the money by the end of this year (December 2018) so we can start paying for all the things needed to stage the show. Assuming we can actually make a profit from the show, we will donate a portion of the proceeds to The Trevor Project , a national organization dedicated to the same goals the Lube has: to help prevent the suicides of at-risk gay youth.
Here are some links so you can learn more about Lube: A Modern Love Story. We hope you'll love the show as much as we loved creating it.
Playwright / Lyricist
Lube: A Modern Love Story
"Just love yourself, the rest will fall in place"
Our online presence:
Web: http://lubemusical.com and http://lubemusicalinfo
Playwright Jack Turner’s home page: http://ajturner.net
Please follow us at:
@LubeMusical / #LubeMusical
Also, please check out:
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/user-189389485/sets/lube-a-modern-love-story (Be warned, music is of uneven quality--some is great, others not so much. We were getting ready for the first public reading, and limited by time and funds. Still, you'll get a good idea of what the music from the show is like.)
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2u8JosSNSEi1rrGgL6NqNw
Lube Branded Merchandise: http://www.cafepress.com/lubemusical
Lube Character Quiz: https://apps.facebook.com/lube-quiz/
Lube Animated Logo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtecvXAd4SY
Pilot Script for Lube: The Streaming Series (submitted to Amazon Studios): https://studios.amazon.com/projects/159929
Press and Media:
Interview with the Playwright: http://gay-sd.com/broadway-by-way-of-san-diego/
Lube Article in The ‘G’ Life: http://theglife.com/lube-modern-love-story/
Article on Lube Reading in Broadway World San Diego: https://www.broadwayworld.com/san-diego/article/LUBE-A-MODERN-LOVE-STORY-Musical-Gets-Reading-to-Benefit-It-Gets-Better-20160823
Playwright talks about why he wrote Lube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxckpeGI0WQ
Interview with the Playwright on Victoria's Secret Library: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiA0k4UQcUM
Virtual Playbill from the First Public Reading of Lube: A Modern Love Story held at San Diego's LBGT Center in October, 2016: http://lubemusical.info/Images/Playbill.pdf
Lube Press / Media Kits:
* January 2017: http://lubemusical.info/Newsletter/Jan2017.pdf
* February 2017: http://lubemusical.info/Newsletter/Feb2017.pdf
* March 2017: http://lubemusical.info/Newsletter/Mar2017.pdf
* April 2017: http://lubemusical.info/Newsletter/Apr2017.pdf
* May 2017: http://lubemusical.info/Newsletter/May2017.pdf
* June 2017: http://lubemusical.info/Newsletter/Jun2017.pdf
* July 2017: http://lubemusical.info/Newsletter/Jul2017.pdf
* August 2017: http://lubemusical.info/Newsletter/Aug2017.pdf
* September 2017: http://lubemusical.info/Newsletter/Sep2017.pdf
* October 2017: http://lubemusical.info/Newsletter/Oct2017.pdf
* November 2017: http://lubemusical.info/Newsletter/Nov2017.pdf
* December 2017: http://lubemusical.info/Newsletter/Dec2017.pdf
* January 2018: http://lubemusical.info/Newsletter/Jan2018.pdf
* February 2018: http://lubemusical.info/Newsletter/Feb2018.pdf
* March 2018: http://lubemusical.info/Newsletter/Mar2018.pdf
* April 2018: http://lubemusical.info/Newsletter/Apr2018.pdf
* May 2018: http://lubemusical.info/Newsletter/May2018.pdf
* June 2018: http://lubemusical.info/Newsletter/Jun2018.pdf
* July 2018: http://lubemusical.info/Newsletter/Jul2018.pdf
* August 2018: http://lubemusical.info/Newsletter/Aug2018.pdf
* September 2018: http://lubemusical.info/Newsletter/Sep2018.pdf (coming soon!)
If you are interested in learning more about a formal sponsorship, please e-mail the Creative Team. Let's make magic together!!