End of Year Fundraising 2017
Lionhearted Kids envisions communities of resilient children and families living to their fullest potential. Lionhearted Kids is a 501c3 nonprofit organization in the United States (EIN# 800633441) and a nonprofit company in South Africa (registration # 2015/120839/08). We celebrate the inherent wisdom that exists within each of us collectively and cross-culturally by serving as facilitators of the human connection. We nurture resilience in children and families who are experiencing medical, physical and emotional challenges in Cape Town, South Africa. We do this in three ways:
1) Lionhearted Kids delivers specialized psychosocial care training to care providers.
2) Lionhearted Kids provides free counseling and mindfulness-based therapies using play, yoga, art, music, therapeutic touch and support services to children, families and anyone who has a role in their lives.
3) Lionhearted Kids engages the international community to support Lionhearted Kids’ programming.
Our goals & approach
Lionhearted Kids serves children and families, trains those who serve children and families and engages the larger community in supporting our work. We use a mindfulness-based approach, which is the practice of intentional non-judgment and acceptance of present moment experience. We practice mindfulness by looking for the wisdom in children’s and family’s thoughts, emotions and actions. In addition to mindfulness, we bring a background of child development, counseling psychology, yoga, play therapy and neurobiology into each interaction with children and families to promote growth and resilience.
Our programs – who we work with, train and support
Lionhearted Kids trains care providers, students and professionals in our unique approach to nurturing resilience in children and families. This specialized psychosocial training is designed to increase the self-awareness and self-regulating capabilities of the care provider. There is growing research that strongly suggests self-awareness and conscious connection to self and other are the foundations for strong neurobiological development in children. When care providers model this, children learn by their example and develop empathy, are able to self-regulate and grow from challenges.
Lionhearted Kids offers specialized psychosocial care services using play, art, music, therapeutic touch and yoga for children receiving medical treatment for injury or illness at healthcare facilities in Cape Town, South Africa. We also offer free weekly yoga classes for healthcare staff for the purposes of promoting self-care, decreasing compassion fatigue and increasing productivity. Our services foster development, allow for therapeutic expression and reduce the negative impact of hospitalization for children, families and those who care for them.
Lionhearted Kids offers weekly yoga groups for children at Maitland Cottage Children’s Orthopedic Hospital, where children with physical disability due to disease or accident are treated with specialized medical care. The practice of yoga includes the intentional use of connecting the mind and body through the use of yoga postures, movement, breathing, attention and awareness. Each yoga session for children is unique as children present with different needs on any given day! A children’s yoga session includes a combination of breathing, yoga postures, music, singing, brainteasers and relaxation led by an experienced teacher.
Benefits of our work
The research-supported physical, emotional and developmental benefits of our work include:
· Promoting body & emotional regulation
· Cultivating attention and awareness
· Enhancing connection to self & other
· Developing empathy
· Balancing reactivity
· Developing intuition and insight
Our supporters, funding & needs
Founded in 2011 in the United States, Lionhearted Kids has relied on friends, family and community members to support our start up projects in South Africa. Lionhearted Kids continues to rely primarily on financial support from individual donors and small foundations in the United States and South Africa. So far in 2016 we have raised $8000, which has allowed us to continue to provide weekly yoga sessions at two of our partner sites and reach 1000 children with specialized psychosocial care at healthcare facilities in Cape Town. Since 2011 to date, Lionhearted Kids has served an average of 1500 children and families and trained an average of 50 students and professionals each year on a total annual budget of ~$20,000.
· $10,000 will fund the development of our specialized psychosocial training program that trains care providers in our unique approach to nurturing resilience in children and families. This once off cost will help us standardize our curriculum and thus leverage how many children and families are served; each care provider serves an average of 20 children a week over an 8-week period during the training. Our curriculum is designed to increase the self-awareness and self-regulating capabilities of the care provider. There is growing research that strongly suggests self-awareness and conscious connection to self and other are the foundations for strong neurobiological development in children. When care providers model this, children learn by their example and develop empathy, are able to self regulate and grow from challenges.
· $5,000 sponsors a children’s yoga teacher and yoga program coordinator part time for one year. This will ensure that children experiencing injury, illness and or emotional challenges receive weekly yoga sessions. The practice of yoga includes the intentional use of connecting the mind and body through the use of yoga postures, movement, breathing, attention and awareness. A children’s yoga session includes a combination of breathing, yoga postures, music, singing, brainteasers and relaxation led by an experienced teacher. An average of 1,250 children are reached annually at our partner sites.
· $2000 allows us to implement a marketing strategy that will keep us connected to with the people whose financial support keeps us going. This strategy includes an interactive website, regular newsletters and social media engagement with our supporters, the educational institutions whose students receive our training and professionals who want to develop their skills and be of service through Lionhearted Kids.
· $400 pays for one month of weekly yoga groups for children at our partner sites. An average of 55 children are reached weekly. Our goal is to fund weekly yoga groups at all of our partner sites for one year.
· $50 pays for one hour of specialized psychosocial care services for children receiving medical care for injury or illness. This includes the use of play, therapeutic touch, art, music and yoga to nurture resilience in children and families and minimize the impact of hospitalization. Our goal is to fund a full-time Lionhearted Kids care provider for one year.
· $25 pays for a one-hour group yoga session with children OR one-hour yoga group for healthcare staff at our partner sites.
Thank you for your support!