Salima's Kidney Transplant Fund
Salima’s Kidney Transplant Fund
Greetings everyone and Thank you for taking the time to read and consider my request.
I am writing this post with a humble request to help my best friend, Salima. She lives in NYC and is in need of a kidney donor and some financial aid. She’s only 33 years old and sadly on the last stage of kidney disease. I feel absolutely helpless and that’s why I’m asking for your help.
I met Salima in 2003 when we were in college. Her zest for life and passion to help others was what attracted me to her the most. I’ve always admired her willingness to help people any way she can to make their lives better. While she takes care of her mom, she always finds time to volunteer for countless causes. Even when life throws her curveballs, instead of feeling sorry for herself, she always looks at the good things in her life and stays positive and continues to help others as much as she can.
When I met Salima I got to know of her dream of someday opening her own restaurant. (I may be a bit biased but she is an absolutely amazing cook!) She also wants to travel the world and get married and start a family someday. I pray that my best friend gets all the happiness she deserves and I hold onto the hope that all her dreams will come true.
Salima was diagnosed with IgA nephropathy (also known as Berger’s disease) at the end of 2014. Since then her condition has deteriorated drastically and she has already been put on dialysis. She continues to endure countless trips to the ER as her kidney disease has led to other complications including a slightly enlarged left ventricle, arthritis, diabetes, high blood pressure and abnormal lung function which makes it difficult for her to breathe and do mundane things. It constantly breaks my heart to watch my best friend suffer through the pain, depression, and anguish.
Salima was recently added to the transplant list at Mount Sinai Hospital in NYC but unfortunately due to her rare blood group type (B) she could be on the waiting list for the next 10-12 years. No one in her family is eligible to donate a kidney. Her father passed away 11 years ago and she has no siblings. Her mom suffers from medical conditions as well and is unable to donate. Thus she has run out of options.
Some things you may not know about kidney donation:
· A kidney from a living donor lasts much longer and offers a better quality of life, and would be the preferred choice for someone as young as Salima.
· A person only needs one kidney to live. Organ donors go on to lead happy, healthy lives.
· The operation is done laparoscopically and the donor usually spends about 2 days in the hospital. Recovery period is only about 2-3 weeks and donor can get back to normal after that.
· Salima's insurance will take care of all costs (tests, surgery etc)
I understand that donating an organ is a huge decision, but it would save Salima's life. If you or anyone you know would be interested in learning more about donating a kidney, please contact Salima directly at email@example.com
Since Salima has always been independent and self-sufficient it is very difficult to ask her family and friends to donate money. She has and is struggling to cope with endless bills. On her behalf I decided to help and am reaching out to you and seeking your generosity.
Salima’s insurance will cover the cost of her surgery as well as that of her donor. The funds raised here will cover for her:
· Living expenses – since she is unable to work as much these days, it is getting harder for her to pay her rent and other bills.
· Education - Salima is pursuing her Masters of Science in Instructional Technology and would like to complete her degree.
· Pre-transplant evaluations and testing.
· Copays – for medicines and as well some uncovered doctors who she has to visit frequently.
· Extensive dental work which is a must for cardiac clearance before the transplant.
· Travel – not just for herself but that for the future donor as well.
Any of your donations – small or large will make a very big difference in her life. Please open your hearts and not just for financial help but for prayers as well.
Even if you cannot be her donor, PLEASE share this. If you have any questions or need more information, message me and I’ll gladly talk to you.
Thank you for reading this and helping me find a kidney and/or financial donor for my best friend.