Medicare Gap Insulin and Surgery
Updated September 18th:
Having finally beaten back the foot infection Wayne is scheduled for foot surgery to prevent future toe infections on September 28th. we have to do this before anything else to avoid a recurrence of injury to the foot.
He has full clearance for Bariatric Surgery, and we are trying to get THAT scheduled for October....
because he needs cataract surgery as soon as possible and that is scheduled for November 28th
(Yes, all of these problems can be traced back to his diabetes as a cause or aggravating factor)
At the moment his meal time (short acting) insulin is running low and will be out in two weeks, which means that if we can't get a donation of more insulin, or scrounge up enough samples at the doctors, that we will have to pay about $600 to refill his prescription.
we have enough of his long acting insulin (the second type he takes) to last about 80 days.
Of course he will also need to be on a highly specialized medical diet to deal with the bariatric surgery, both before and after, which we also need to pay for.
Please do share this fundraiser, and also my two online shops, thank you.
THIS is why they tell diabetics to watch their feet.
(photo shows husband's foot, red with infection, in the local Emergency Room, and does NOT show the bottom of his foot because that was just icky)
we were lucky. we caught it early and he only lost a little skin and tissue. They think the oral antibiotics are beating it back (although these are some SCARY oral antibiotics)
initial X rays showed it hadn't progressed into the bone, and we have follow up x rays next week to be sure. His podiatrist did icky nasty things to his foot and pronounced it to be a good job of home care, and is monitoring it (and at this point the red has visibly receded.)
may i say for the record that i am SO entirely OVER having medical crises?
The basic story:
I'm a disabled veteran, and my husband is a disabled diabetic on Medicare.
We originally set up this fundraiser strictly for paying for insulin during the "Medicare gap" (when the co-pay for his insulin goes up to over $500 dollars a month- closer to 600 really, not counting all his other medication.)
and then he needed surgery... and more surgery...
Here is where we are now:
Wayne HAD emergency kidney stone surgery scheduled May 2nd Once they had him in the OR the surgeon found some issues. he had a stent put in, and was in a lot of pain as you might imagine. (better than risking a puncture!)
Wayne had a second try at kidney stone surgery May 16th. it was successful in that they removed a lot fo stones (three blocking his ureter) but he had to get a new stent, and is in a lot of post operative pain several days later.
He was in severe pain from May 16th through mid July- it only began to be controlled in July. Three urologists 30 days of levaquin and a Pelvic Floor Physical Therapist later, (bless the woman) we finally have things a BIT better..
Then he got a foot infection. and was on first clindamycin and then keflex before we beat it down.
He is currently scheduled for :
Foot surgery September 28
Bariatric Surgery to be determined
Cataract surgery November 28
obviously the bills are now skyrocketing... have already skyrocketed really.
Unfortunately i have had to cancel almost all of my sales events (like Maryland Sheep and Wool as well as local fairs and etc) to take care of him, so i don't have much chance to bring in any income other than my disability.
Friends did chip in to pay for my getting a Daith piercing in an attempt to reduce my migraines (it seems to be helping). Hopefully that will make getting everything done a bit easier!
(NOTE: the daith piercing is still helping markedly! not a cure, but certainly a help!)
I know a lot of people are on shoestring budgets, and believe me we appreciate all the help.
I also remind everyone that SHARING a fundraiser really helps, even if you cannot donate.
Thank you all for your support and generosity.
Foot surgery October 28
Bariatric Surgery (date to be determined, hopefully in October)
Cataract Surgery November 28
At this point we have very limited supplies of his meal time (short acting) insulin, and a bit more of his long acting (night time) insulin.
we need to raise funds QUICKLY for insulin, and for the special diet that he will need to be on both before and after the bariatric surgery...
as well as the expenses incurred from so many medical issues this year
my having had to cancel craft and other shows to care for him.
for those less familiar with diabetes complications:
all of his major medical issues- the neuropathy and foot infections, the swelling, the cataracts, and the difficulty in treating and managing his illnesses- trace back to his diabetes either as a direct cause or a complicating factor.
His weight also makes treatment difficult for many things as between his weight and his damaged back he cannot fit in most MRI machines, and he cannot lay flat on his back or stand for any length of time.
As i have discussed, his doctors have urged him to get bariatric surgery which will have a chance to deal with both the weight and the diabetes...
first we had insurance to work with, and then? well they CANNOT perform surgery when his kidney function is in question, or he has an active infection.
This delayed his bariatric surgery.
We are dearly hoping not to have to wait until after the cataract surgery to get it done.
seven days of Clindamycin antibiotic...
and fifteen days of Keflex antibiotic...
My husband Wayne is finally cleared of infection, hasn't lost any of his toes, and is scheduled for foot surgery to correct the hammer toe (and hopefully prevent future infection) on September 28th !
My mother is still on a Picc line for her jaw infection, but is doing a little better every day.
Wayne has ALSO finally cleared the requirements for his bariatric surgery. we do not yet have a date, but are hoping it will be toward the end of October.
the doctor wants him back on antibiotics ( Keflex this time) but agreed we did a good job getting on top of it and treating it. the infection MUST be gone before he can do surgery on the foot to correct the toe damage.
on the way home i stopped at a JoAnn fabrics, more to stare at pretty things and de stress than actually shop... and when we left the car wouldn't start.
now i was assaulted before when my car broke down, so even though i was in a fairly safe place and i had my husband with me this is PTSD inducing stress...
AAA guy very nicely got us going and said our battery seemed to be bad.
the good news: AAA guy said it might be under warranty and we checked, the battery is indeed under the dealer warranty!
Bad news: we have to get that dealt with today when i was supposed to be teaching and merchanting at an event.
Scary maybe news: things like the alternator and starter are not under warranty, and well... all our money goes to health care costs as is.
so please spare us a prayer or good thought that its all simple and covered, and for my nerves and hubby's health.
And naturally please do share our go fund me. your sharing can really help.
Oh and the butterfly has nothing to do with anything i just wanted a pretty picture to deal with stress and i like butterflies. Photo of blue butterfly courtesy of wikimedia commons.
it looks like some grit got into the wound after the doctor looked at it on Monday. I have cleaned it and he soaked it and we bandaged it again, and we will be trying to get in touch with his podiatrist in the morning.
I had my first cataract surgery on July 25th. It was really no big deal. The other two are another story. Praying for both of you!
My dermatologist also told me a way to kill germs on the skin. Mix 3 parts water and 1 part white vinegar together. She told me to buy gauze and soak my skin for 5 minutes and then let air dry. Instead I chose to buy a spray bottle for $1.49 and put the splotion in it. I spray me leg, where I have an infection and let it dry three or four times in a row before bandaging. I'm not saying Wayne shouldn't take the Keflex, but maybe in addition?
Please make sure you give him probiotics or, if he can tolerate it, yogurt with probiotics. Anti-biopics kill off good gut flora.
Check also with his doctors. I have had doctors thrilled to be able to provide me with sample vials because they didn't have any other patients on they type I am on and they didn't like having to throw them out. You never know. Also, if you have not already, contact the manufacturer - some may help defray the cost. And one more thing to check is if there is a substitute by a different manufacturer that is lower cost. I don't know about medicare specifically, but I know on many insurance plans - including the "obamacare" plans - there is a tiered system for prescription meds and on some plans one manufacturer is on a lower tier (is, less cost) than the other. I am Type 1, so insulin is life-and-death, no other treatment options, so I have learned a few of these tricks along the way. I asked my endocrinologist and she switched me from humalog to novolog, which cut my co pay by more than half without any adverse effect. may not work for you, but it's worth asking. please hang in there!
What are the names of the insulins he takes?