Help us save our dog Plaid's life
Our 6 year old dog Plaid has been having health issues lately. Numerous visits to the local vet have not solved the problem. Today, Diane and her sister took Plaid to a speciality clinic in Minnesota for treatment.
We just found out Plaid is dangerously anaemic and needs an emergency blood transfusion now. This procedure is close to $2000 US dollars. This is followed by a day or 2 of 24 hour supervised care at the clinic, roughly $1000/ day. Then, if things look good, likely 1 or 2 more blood transfusions at around $500 each.
This is in addition to the costs incurred over the last couple of months locally.
Plaid is going in for the blood transfusion as I type this up (I have no idea how to do a GoFundMe type campaign and am winging it as I go and believe me, I can barely even type right now).
Plaid means everything o us and she means everything to her younger sister, our other dog Sandpaper.
If we can save Plaid, I know I'll work hard to help support our local dog shelters and other dogs/ dog owners needing help in their time of need. I really don't know what else to say right now. I just love my dogs....
Plaid appears to still be improving slowly. Her red blood cell count has gone up to 25 and we hope to see it soon in the mid thirties or higher at least.
Her energy levels are also slowly increasing as well.
The donations from this campaign are greatly appreciated and it is a huge help right now.
We are going to shut it down tomorrow I think but first we just wanted to say THANK YOU to each and every one of you. You have no idea how much we appreciate your help, your kind words and your support. Thank you so much. Plaid sends you her love.
Her condition and well being is still day to day and could go either way still. But she is a fighter and we are hoping for the best.
Her red blood cell count still needs to rise. But it had dropped as low as 7 and we nearly lost her then. The doctors at the clinic could not believe that Plaid was even able to stand, let alone walk at those levels.
After her treatments and the first blood transfusion, her red blood cell count has come to 20 and Diane and Dawna were able to bring her home.
We took her to the local vet yesterday to have her blood checked again. Blood count was the same, 20. We'd hoped for an increase but at least it di not go down. If it HAD gone down, it would mean another trip to MN and another costly bood transfusion and stay at the clinic. We will be going to the vet again in a few days to have the blood checked again as it still needs to rise. Worst case situation is that her blood level falls...but it still has to rise further.
The GoFundMe campaign has now brought in over $1500 to help offset the medical costs and every dollar helps. We can't thank you enough.
Please keep our wonderful little girl Plaid in your thoughts.
We will keep the campaign running a few more days as we wait and see what happens.
Thank you to everyone.
Well, a couple days ago we were fearing the worst and thought we might lose Plaid. What a difference a couple of days make!
Apparently when the doctor let Plaid out of her crate this morning, she ran out and was full of energy. Her blood count went up again (VERY good news).
The Vet was then communicating with our local vet back here in Thunder Bay, discussing the new ongoing treatment plan.
nd it sounds like Diane and Dawna will be picking up Plaid within the hour (more or less) and they will be making the drive home today.
Yes...Plaid is coming HOME!
Our fundraising campaign has been very helpfull and the money raised will be a big help in offsetting the costs incurred. I don't know the final cost yet but we are guessing $5000 US or more. We will keep the campaign up a little longer for anyone else who wants to chip in. Anything helps, it all adds up.
I intend to pay it forward over the months and years and to help others in their time of need, even if just a few dollars here and there.
The comments, both public and private, have been very supportive and encouraging.
We wish to thank you all for everything and helping us through this tough and stressful time.
I will post more when I hear more. And plenty of photos of Plaid when she gets home.
Thank you everyone!!
Photo is from this morning at the clinic. She is with Diane and Dawna. Apparently Plaid is full of energy and so excited she sqyeeks lost her bark...she does that when happy and excited).
Joe, Diane, Plaid and Sandpaper
Plaid had a long day. Apparently she is a complicated case, even for here. They have mostly ruled out cancer and it is a toss between an autoimmune disease or
Iron deficiency caused by GI track issues.
And/or both which is what makes it complicated.
To make it short, the drugs used for the autoimmune therapy can cause GI track issues which then can cause anemia/low red blood cell production. And so on. It’s going to be a lot of trial and error.
We went and visited her in the ICU during visiting hours today and she was happy to see us. Wagging her tail and whining a bit because that’s all she could muster. We snuggled a lot.
Had a really long talk with the awesome doctor and if everything goes well tonight with her CBC (Red Blood Cell levelsI think that means) then we will be picking her up on Thursday and heading home.