● Krista Fox will walk across Canada with the goal of driving awareness for Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women and Girls (MMIWG)
● The trek by foot will begin on February 18, 2022 leaving from Victoria, British Columbia
● The trek will take 10 months to complete, ending in St. Johns Newfoundland
WHAT ARE WE ASKING YOU FOR?
1. DONATE: It will cost $11.75 for every KM for Krista to walk across Canada. Sponsor as many KM’s as you can. If that’s just one—that is OK, that is getting us 1 KM closer to our goal. Your donation matters and we thank you.
2. SHARE: this GoFundMe page with your network via text, email or social media. Awareness is the key to change, not only for this walk, but for MMIWG has a whole across this country. Help us spread the word. If you would like to make an in-kind donation, please get in touch with Moirae Choquette at [email redacted] (dot) com
3. FOLLOW: the journey on Facebook at @Krista’s Kilometres for MMIW and when we get to your city, please join us and take as many steps as you can with us.
By supporting this cause your donations will help with transportation, food and places to stay.
Let's use Krista's walk as an opportunity for all Canadians, non-Indigenous and Indigenous alike to join together and make sure everybody knows how much this matters. Let's help carry the burden for her, the Morin family, and all First Nations families who are missing their family members.
We are so grateful for your kindness and your help.
ABOUT THE WALK:
Krista’s Kilometers is a cross-Canada walk that will take place from February to December 2022 with the goal of raising awareness about the Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women and Girls (MMIWG). You can read more about it here.
Our goal is to bring awareness to the severity of this human rights crisis that is surrounding MMIW and to generate more resources to find these women. Ultimately, we hope to see the numbers of MMIW decrease and for Indigenous women to repossess their rightful power and respect.
This past decade alone has seen 580+ reported cases of missing or murdered Indigenous women in Canada. Of those, 67% have been murder cases, with only 50% of those cases ever being resolved. Too often when Indigenous women go missing their cases are met with systemic inaction or apathy due to stigma and institutionalized racism.
Krista Fox, the woman who will be doing the actual walk, is a 53 year old Indegienous Women, Mother, Grandmother and Sister to many, who was born and raised in North Battleford, Saskatchewan.
The disappearance of close family friend Ashley Morin , in 2018 was the catalyst for Krista’s determination to raise awareness of the tragic reality of Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women in Canada. Since Ashley Morin’s disappearance, Krista has been the spokesperson for the Morin family which has included speaking to the media, organizing searches and spearheading annual awareness walks over 100 km long from North Battleford to Saskatoon in Ashley’s honour. After learning more about the disproportionate number of missing or murdered Indigenous women in Canada, Krista felt that she had to do more.
As such, Krista will embark on the 10 month journey across Canada, departing from Victoria, British Columbia on February 18, 2022 trekking her way across Canada, completing her journey in NewFoundland.