Our Mission: Starting mid-December, thirteen aspiring Veterinarians from Midwestern University in Glendale, Arizona will be spending 6 days in the poverty-stricken areas of Guaymas, Mexico.
Our mission is not only to help the animals and families of Guaymas, but to provide enrichment for the community. We hope to sterlize as many animals as possible to decrease the amount of feral animals roaming the streets and also aim to vaccinate every animal that comes to us. Our aim is to begin an effort to eradicate rabies and parvovirus in this region.
How You Can Help: Contributions to this GoFundMe Page will assist through the following:
- Medical Supplies, including vaccines, dewormers, wound treatment
- Leashes and collars to share with new friends that we make on our mission in Guaymas
- Rental vehicles to and from Guaymas, Mexico
San Carlos is located within the port city of Guaymas, Sonora, Mexico. Veterinary students will be voluntarily providing treatment and support and your funds will help us get there and accomplish our goals!!
This is the second trip that Veterinary students will be taking to Guaymas, Mexico in 2017. The first trip consisted of five students who spent 7 days in makeshift surgery and wellness clinics for dogs and cats. Over the span of 7 days, we were able to spay/neuter 400+ patients and offer treatment, vaccines, and medication to 500+ patients.
A few facts about the dire need of veterinary intervention:
1) Ehrlichiosis - A tick transmitted disease that can be passed from dogs to people and effects the blood cells of both species. This disease causes anemia, weight loss, lethargy, and neurological symptoms. This is one of the most prevalent diseases found in animals in the city of Guaymas and is also the cause of death for 11 children within the past year.
2) Toxoplasmosis - A disease transmitted by cats and considered extremely dangerous to pregnant women. The drinking water in Guaymas has become contaminated with this disease and, as a result, has become a common cause for miscarriage in the area.
Pictures from our last trip are shared below:
DonationsSee top donations
- ASHOK VAID
- David Jenkins
- Andy Chen
- Carla Gartrell
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more