On August 2016, I was staying at my sister’s house for roughly 6 days. During the duration of my stay, I would always notice my sister coughing constantly and I began to feel very concerned. I asked her to see a doctor, and when she did she was prescribed antibiotics and no further tests were done. My sister was also 1 month pregnant at the time.
At the end of November 2016, she still had a persistent cough and was now feeling significantly unwell and was in a lot of pain. The doctors then decided to send her to the emergency where they performed a biopsy and they found a blood clot had formed. After further testing, they discovered she had stage 4-lung cancer. At that time she was also at month 4 of her pregnancy, with a long-awaited baby girl. As a mother of three boys, she had always wished for a daughter. She was given the hardest choice of her life—whether to proceed with treatment or continue with the pregnancy while her health would deteriorate. Due to the state of her health, the doctors were unable to perform a premature C-section and had to terminate the pregnancy. The pain of losing her unborn daughter was unbearable, and having stage 4 cancer on top of that just added to her pain, both emotional and physical.
In December 2016, all nine siblings and our parents flew to Toronto, Ontario from all over Canada to visit my sister. It was so heartbreaking to see our lovely sister lying in a hospital bed with tubes in her body. It was so hard to hold back our tears but we tried not to cry so we could be strong for her, even though we felt immense pain and sadness. We spent more time with her in the hospital and tried to remain positive. She was so fragile that when she was walking she had to use a walker and walk extremely slow. We kept reminding her to be positive and try to be strong and think of her kids.
At the beginning of January 2017, my sister finally got to go home. She was excited to be home but knew that her battle wasn’t over. She is still taking medicine every day and has to inject herself daily with blood thinners so that she does not get another blood clot.
As of today, her cancer has not subsided and all the doctors’ efforts to fight it have so far been unsuccessful. Her only option is to send a biopsy to the USA, which costs $7, 000 USD. We are at our wit's end and want to try every option we can to keep our sister alive. Any donation, large or small would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for taking your time to read our story and thank you to those who donate to help Susan fight cancer.
DonationsSee top donations
- Chaire K
- Lisa Duong
- Sandra Chung
- Melissa Woodcock
- Andres Tran
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more