House Fire Leaves Summit Family with Just Clothes on Their Backs
In less than 10 minutes on Veterans Day, an electrical fire at 59 Morris Avenue destroyed a family home and left its eight occupants with essentially only the clothes they were wearing when they escaped the blaze..
Billye Brown, age 87, owned the two-family home, which she occupied with her granddaughter and her family.
The fire broke out on Monday morning shortly after breakfast and quickly spread throughout the house. Qadra Brown, mother of three small children, ages 6-months 2 and 3, along with her grandmother Billye were forced to pass the infant though a broken first floor window to safety. Mercifully, all family members evacuated the building safely with only minor injuries.
Unfortunately, Qadra, who supported her family as an artist, lost her entire portfolio of paintings in the fire.
Monsignor Robert Meyer of St. Teresa’s Catholic Church, Mayor Nora Radest and the Other Fellow First Foundation are all working together to galvanize a community effort to help this family back onto their feet.
As Thanksgiving approaches, the little foundation hopes the Summit community will join them in helping this Summit family in distress.
My name is Ameer and today my grandmother had her home of 56 years
totally and completely gutted by fire. She moved to Summit in 1963 to make a better life for her family and this is so sad because there are so many memories that were made in that home my mom was raised there and so were my sisters and I.. This fire leaves my grandmother along with my sister and her three children homeless and with out any possessions.. I'm just looking to raise money to help them in the short term so they can rent a long term residence and with winter coming I want to make sure they have clothes etc... I know this is hard asking for help with it's the holiday season but anything will help even if only a dollar..
Thank you even if only for your consideration - A devastated Grandson