Rainbow Rat Refuge Emergency Vet Care Fund
Hi! Rainbow Rat Refuge is a new domestic rat rescue in Nogojiwanong/Peterborough Ontario. Small-scale, foster-based, volunteer-run, and full of love.
Rats are very sweet, social, and smart animals. Many love to cuddle, bond closely with their family (of the rat and human variety). They’re also fun, curious, and smart. They can be litter-trained and learn tricks and agility just like dogs!
We need to raise enough money for the rest of our Emergency Vet Fund before we can start saying “yes” to intakes for our foster homes. We have foster families available and ready, all the cages and supplies. Now we just need the sufficient funds set aside in case any sudden medical needs arise! There are many rats in need, and while we plan to stay small, we could have more capacity with this fund available.
So, we are asking for your support in getting our Foster Program off the ground! We appreciate all the support we can get, and every amount helps rats in need. No donation is too small. We are grateful for whatever you can spare. Here are some ways you can help us out:
1. Donate Money ✨
- To this fundraiser
- E-transfer: [email redacted]
- PayPal: @rainbowratrefuge
- Keep a donation collection box of ours in your business
2. Donate Items (for auction or for our foster rats)
- We are planning an online, silent Auction for this fall. If you have something you’d like to donate, it would be greatly appreciated! This doesn’t have to be pet-related, and can range from handmade items, to experiences, to services, to gift cards. Please message or e-mail us if you’d like to show us support in this way.
- Etsy Wishlist: https://etsy.me/37nTrk6
- Amazon wishlist: https://www.amazon.ca/hz/wishlist/ls/ZC3BOYTNOF5P?ref_=wl_share
- Here’s a list of items we will frequently need. Please reach out about drop-off/pick-up or other items you think we could use! Again, every little bit helps:
- Large rat cages and accessories (hammocks, ropes, toys, water bottles)
- Tree branches (pear, apple, sugar maple)
- Substrate (Yesterday’s News, aspen, coco coir, fleece)
- Rat food (Oxbow or Mazuri pellets, rabbit, rat, and bird seed mixtures)
- Dry grains (egg noodle pasta, quinoa, etc)
- Cereals (unsweetened, such as plain Cheerios, corn flakes)
- Dried veggies and herbs
3. Vet Care Assistance!
- Our biggest need at the moment is partnership with a local vet and donations for our Emergency Vet Fund. If you are located in Durham, Northumberland, Kawartha, or Peterborough areas, we’re wondering if you would be interested in offering us discounted, affordable rates for our rescue rats
Please reach out if you live in the Durham, Northumberland, Kawartha, or Peterborough areas (outside of here could *possibly* work too). You don’t need prior experience with rats to foster. We’re here to walk you through it and can’t do this work without your help! E-mail us at [email redacted] for an application or reach out if you have any questions!
5. Partnership / Support
- If you are someone with small animal rescue or nonprofit experience and would like to share tips or partner with us - please do contact us. We have learned so much with the guidance of other rescues, and have lots left to learn. We are just starting out and love collaboration.
- And community members! You’re SO important. Let us know if you want to become involved as a volunteer (driving, fundraising, administration, etc).
- We need to grow our following: Please like and share our page and posts, and let your circle of friends/family know about us. This is an important way you can support us. You are our partners too!
We will be sure to give a shout-out on our social media for each donation and action taken if you’d like. Thank you for reading, and thank you for all of your support so far and going forward! We will update you all more in the near future. Let’s get these rats to their new families! ❤️
E-mail - [redacted by fundraising platform], message us for this or find on our website!
Facebook - Rainbow Rat Refuge
Instagram - @RainbowRatRefuge
Website - www.RainbowRatRefuge.org
And yes, we have some rats currently looking for their forever homes. See our website for details!
In the case that we aren’t able to succeed at raising the start-up funds required to continue, we will pass these donations on to another rescue.