Imagine: One morning you wake up with no feeling in your legs. A few weeks later you are admitted to hospital, in extreme pain, terrified and no longer able to walk. For our alumna, Rachel Jenkins that nightmare became reality.
In June 2020, Rachel’s lower extremities became numb, within weeks she was no longer able to walk and in extreme pain. Rachel was admitted to Peterborough Regional Health Centre, and diagnosed with a rare neurological condition called Transverse Myelitis (TM), a condition that damaged her spinal cord such that she is unable to walk.
Treatment for Rachel’s Neurological Condition.
Rachel is now at Lyndhurst Rehab Centre, working on gaining back mobility through physiotherapy and occupational therapy. The process of recovery can take up to 2 years (for the third of people who are able to recover).
Sadly the costs for treatment are currently out of reach. Rachel has slipped between the cracks of our funding systems.
• The coverage through her Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) is extremely limited compared to the need for physical therapy.
• Rachel has applied to social services for support, but as she moved home to be looked after, she does not qualify.
• Rachel is a university student and was working seasonally, any EI is minimal.
• Daily physiotherapy with a physiotherapist who specializes in neurological cases, likely needed for 24+ months.
• Modifications to access her home, bathroom and kitchen
• Vehicle modifications to accommodate her wheelchair and hand controls.
You can help.
While Rachel is fortunate to have a wonderful family supporting her, she needs your financial help to cover the basic treatment costs and home/car modifications.
>>>Please donate generously to help Rachel Jenkins walk again.<<<
>>>Share on your social media and if you know an influencer, please consider asking them to share.<<<
>>>Share with your friends, family, work colleagues.<<<
- Natasha Shulman
- Malcolm Kendall
- Grant Stockwell
Fundraising team: Team Rachel (5)
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more