• Barbara has breast cancer which was originally diagnosed as stage one but after a lumpectomy, the diagnosis was changed to stage 2 and she was told that a mastectomy is needed which will mean 4 to 6 weeks recovery. She is presently trying to schedule a second opinion.
• The only income Barbara has is social security which, at this point, doesn’t cover her rent ($1000/month).
• She is $3500 (3 and ½ months) behind in her rent.
• She was in technical school from January to July, paid for by the state and was collecting unemployment during that time. From July 2017 through October 2017 she was on a job search until her cancer diagnosis and an emergency hospital stay to repair a bleeding ulcer halted that process. After the lumpectomy on 12/27, She started searching for a job again which was hampered by the slow Christmas to New Year’s holiday period.
• She has worked as a Telecommunications Contractor for many years and could not look for a permanent position from 2007 to 2015 because she had sole responsibility for her elderly mother in another state from where she lived. Several times she had to stop working and spend weeks/months away from home tending to the business of caregiving for her mother.
• She is 67 years old. Because she primarily did contracting work, she has no pensions and no 401K. Her extended family is in the Washington DC area and she is unable to depend upon them for support.
• Medical bills, not including the lumpectomy, so far $1510.20. There will be more to cover the lumpectomy and the mastectomy as well as the 2nd opinion. She does have Medicare and supplemental coverage through AARP United Healthcare but there’s going to be thousands more that she will be responsible for.
• In addition, she needs expensive dental work to repair broken and missing teeth. She will also probably need implants or dentures. So far, by the grace of God, she has not had much pain but doesn’t know how long this can last. The last time she had a dental exam was at least 4 years ago.
• Her car is still running but she knows that she needs tires and some other work.
• Barbara wants and needs to work, however, because of the upcoming surgery and recovery period needed she will not be able to look for a job again until April.
Please prayerfully consider all the ways in which you can help our sister friend during this difficult time. An immediate response would be so appreciated. Thank you so very much and God bless you for your loving kindness.
DonationsSee top donations
- Steven Strauss
- Vicki Clark
- Rocklyn and Eva Clarke
Organizer and beneficiary
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more