Be Part of the Solution: Low Cost, Fast to Produce, Clinically Effective Ventilators for COVID-19 Patients
Team : Ventilators for the World
Who are we? : We are a non-commercial, non-profit collective of professionals who have extensive experience in designing ICU ventilators and anesthesia machines. Supporting us are experienced intensive care doctors and anesthesiologist from Harborview Medical Center and the University of Washington Medical Center, all of whom are currently treating Covid-19 patients. In addition some of the leading engineers from the Global Innovation Exchange part of the University Washington are leading the engineering aspects of the project for the team We have also enlisted three global medical contract manufacturers with production facilities around the world ready to produce the ventilators once we receive FDA approval.
• Intensive Care and Anesthesia Physicians from the University of Washington Medical Center and Harborview Medical Center.
• Engineering faculties and students from the Global Innovation Exchange at the University of Washington
• PATH, Seattle-based, global non-profit health organization
• Experienced ventilation specialists, design engineers, senior executives and regulatory and quality assurance professionals
THE PROBLEM: Urgent need for ventilators capable of treating COVID-19 patients. Even with various auto, industrial companies joining the production effort, there will still be a huge deficit in meeting the demand around the world including developed countries. COVID-19 patients with ARDS (Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome) will die without effective ventilators.
OUR SOLUTION: We are in the final stages of prototyping and developing a very low cost, small light weight portable ventilator designed specifically to meet the needs of pandemics to treat complex Covid-19 patients with ARDS. The ventilator will cost less than $500/unit, easy to operate and can be produced in large quantity with primarily off-the-shelf parts.
HOW YOU CAN HELP?: Our collaboration is in immediate need of bridge funding to purchase parts and materials to complete our final prototype. With YOUR generous donations, we will be able to complete this prototype and proceed with regulatory approval and production immediately.
• Utilizes shelf parts which can be quickly produced and deployed in large volumes
• Controls for adjusting: Ventilatory rate, depth of each breath (tidal volume), oxygen level (FIO2), peak inspiratory pressure, positive end expiratory pressure (PEEP).
• Safety features:
- Alarm for excessive of inflation pressure (too large of breath)
- Low pressure for circuit disconnect
- Sustained pressure alarm
- Electrical power loss
There are several other ventilator designs being built for the current emergency. Here is what makes our Pandemic Ventilator different:
• A fraction of the cost of today’s ICU ventilators
• Small, lightweight and portable
• Simpler to produce – requires a minimal supply chain for parts and can be produced in large quantities on short notice
• Easier to operate, requires very little training
We are racing against time, and your immediate action will make lasting impacts to people and communities around the world. By donating, you are joining our team in the fight to save lives. Please like, share, and donate to this link.
We are so grateful for your help. Stay safe and stay healthy.
- Mary Schwartz-Rudokas
- Patricia Kile
- Rigas Arvanitis
- Robert Drucker
Fundraising team: World Ventilator Foundation (4)
Raised $25,991 from 12 donations
Raised $275 from 4 donations