Back in November at a regular annual visit, the vet noticed a murmur when listening to Mohawk's heart and told me to have it rechecked in 3 months. In December, we moved back to San Diego and then in January he went in for his heart recheck and we were told he needed to see a cardiologist asap. We went to the cardiologist and Mohawk was diagnosed with Congenital Pulmonary Stenosis and was put on a heart medication. In the beginning of February we noticed his appetite was starting to decrease, one week he would eat something and the next he wouldn't touch it, we tried wet food, dry food, human food, everything. Mohawk left Missouri at 56 lbs. and suddenly we were looking at an extremely weak 38 lb dog. When I took Mohawk to his follow-up cardiology they were shocked at how emaciated he was, we had been in constant phone contact but its different when you see it in person. He had a full blood panel, chest x-ray, throat x-ray, and abdominal ultrasound. All the tests came back "unremarkable", there were small anomalies but nothing that would make a diagnosis or explain what was happening. We were told to see the internal medicine specialist. We decided to get a second opinion by a general vet and were told that we should consider putting him down. Obviously that answer was unacceptable and I called to move up his appointment with the internist. The internist appt was Mar 5. She ordered a bunch of tests to rule out possible viruses that are common in every state we visited and we are currently waiting on the results.
Mohawk is a fighter, he still wags his tail when he sees us, rolls around in the front yard, perks up when he see food. He eats, drinks, and goes potty regularly now. He isn't done with his life, he is only 6, he has more years to give.
We will figure this out, no matter what it takes. Problem is I need help, his bills for vet visits, tests, medications, food, treats and supplements are already at $5000 and we still have no answers. He might need more tests, he might need treatment, he might be on pills for the rest of his life. I am going to do what I can for my boy and part of that is swallowing my pride and asking for help. If you can donate I truly appreciate it, if not I still appreciate all the prayers and good vibes that you are all sending. I will update once I get his test results later this week or early next week.