McGrath's Road 2 Recovery

On January 29th, Anne rushed Mike to the ER at St. Peter's Hospital in Albany as he was doubled over in pain. They thought his gall bladder might need to be removed due to gall stones. Instead, he was diagnosed with Pancreatitis, and after many days of extreme pain and uncertainty, his health began to turn around. Though he was starting to feel better,  the surgical team at St Peter's (Dr's Heckman and Keim) said that his pancreas necrotized 80%, meaning it liquified itself. We were heartbroken to hear it, but still remain hopeful that the remaining 20% will continue to function, though there is no guarantee that will occur. Mike returned home on February 12th. 

Though his doctors are unsure what caused the issue, what we do know is that Mike has a very long road ahead. Every person's recovery is different, and though they can't tell us how his body will react over the next few weeks, he will likely undergo several procedures to help the healing process including intervention to help drain the area where the pancreas once was as well as possible gall bladder removal. The recovery process is also often rife with set backs, and was described  as a roller coaster ride. He will have good days, and bad days, and very likely more hospital stays. The doctors said to plan on Mike being sick until June at the very least. The remaining pancreas may necrotize again, and should that happen he will become a type I diabetic. The prognosis is daunting to say the least, but he is a strong and healthy man, and remains hopeful and positive. 

We are setting up this site because we know how much Mike has given to the community and are hopeful that the community can come together to support him and his family through this terrible time. Please give what you can. All funds will go directly to support Mike, Anne, Gus, and Saoirse.

You can follow Mike's road to recovery here:
  • Margaret Fitzgerald 
    • $50 
    • 46 mos
  • Carol Durant 
    • $25 
    • 47 mos
  • Jason Bowers 
    • $360 
    • 50 mos
  • Abby & Clark Baker 
    • $50 
    • 51 mos
  • Jim Temple 
    • $50 
    • 51 mos
See all

Organizer and beneficiary

Sharon Kollar 
Albany, NY
Anne McGrath