PLEASE SUPPORT OUR EFFORTS TO FUND A HAITIAN OB-GYN AND ANESTHESIOLOGIST at Hôpital de la Communaute Dame-Marienne, Dame-Marie, Haiti
Young mothers in Haiti have a 1 in 80 chance of dying due to childbirth. This can be related to
• The lack of prenatal care, home delivery with little or no skilled providers except the village shaman or untrained midwife
• The lack of a working operating room with an OB-GYN/surgeon and anesthesiologist at a health facility
And for every mother that dies, 7 more are seriously injured and suffer lifelong pain, societal shame, and inability to work from physical damages.
Medical Aid to Haiti (MATH) is a 501(c)(3) charitable organization with the mission of helping Haitians heal Haitians by developing services in the medically under-served village of Dame-Marie on the westernmost tip of Haiti and 5 villages around Port-au-Prince. www.medicalaidtohaiti.org)
Over the past 4 years, the Dame-Marie team, led by Dr. Michael R. Bourque, a renowned obstetrician and surgeon, and Kathy Aries, Labor & Delivery RN, at St. Francis Hospital & Medical Center (Hartford, CT), has accomplished the following for the community of 40,000 in Dame-Marie --
• Re-opened the operating room at the Hôpital de la Communaute Dame-Marienne (Community Hospital of Dame-Marie) and restored it to working order with most of the equipment donated by Saint Francis Hospital & Medical Center (Hartford, CT) now the flagship hospital of Trinity Health – New England;
• Assembled surgical teams that traveled to Dame-Marie four (4) times a year and, for one week each trip, performed surgeries that would not have been available to the villagers of this very poor area; and
• Facilitated the development of surgical, medical, obstetrics / gynecology, pediatrics, dental, optometry and other key specialty skills through the involvement of Haitian medical personnel from other parts of Haiti on these teams.
Recently, a 6-month grant funded a Haitian OB-GYN and anesthesiologist on-site at the hospital for 3 of 4 weeks per month. This funding allowed a healthy outcome for over 304 mothers and children by assisting deliveries and / or performing C-Sections.
THE FUNDING FROM THIS GRANT, HOWEVER, HAS COME TO AN END.
MATH is asking for your support to continue the funding so vital to maintaining an OB-GYN/surgeon and anesthesiologist on-site in Dame-Marie and providing much-needed obstetrical services.
The cost for both an OB/GYN and anesthesiologist to be onsite is $1,000 per week, for a total of $52,000 per year. This sounds like a lot of money, but this equates to only $2.97 per hour for these two Haitian professionals who reside in the hospital and are available 24/7.
Additional information on maternal mortality in Haiti can be found at:
Making a donation is easy!
You will receive a tax-deductible email or letter.
Copyright © Medical Aid to Haiti. All rights reserved.