„Light up Managua“ is a charity project to improve the teaching conditions of students and teachers in Nicaragua. The central idea is to make the Colegio Ottakring in Managua by the use of energy-efficient measures to a model school for energy-autonomous learning. The 852 pre-school, primary and secondary school students of the Colegio Ottakring get an unprecedented opportunity to learn with optimized lighting and climate conditions. "Light up Managua" is supposed to be leading the way for the use of renewable energy systems in Nicaragua and
forcing the independence from the electricity grid.
Our goal is equipping the Colegio Ottakring with energy efficient technologies in order to make the school independent from the electricity grid. For on-site power itself to the following it is available at low cost and especially reliable. First we want to renovate the corrugated sheet roof and spread white to protect against corrosion and heat. On the false ceiling that needs to be partially re-drawn, we bring to a ceiling lighting, which ensures a good and pleasant light and air. Throughout the interior, the use of intelligently controlled LED kits for maximum energy efficiency is planned. To ensure energy supply solar power is converted using photovoltaics in clean energy for the school day. During the installation of photovoltaic and LED systems, we provide on-site from the school staff to solar technicians, so that the maintenance of the systems in the house can be made independently.
WHAT WE WANT TO DO
- Implementation of a false ceiling (where not available yet)
- White painting of the ceiling (better light reflection by white blanket)
- Construction of specially developed for flexible LED Systems Reflectors (aluminum)
- Production of the reflectors on the spot with local suppliers (as possible)
- Development of own plug systems (low voltage) for use in high humidity environments and still easier maintainability (quick and easy replacement must be possible)
- Production of own highly efficient LED bar systems in China
- Installation of 3 piece of silicon monocrystal panels (each 700 watts peak)
- Installation of a light controller with infrared sensors via radio communication
(presence, light irradiation from the outside)
- Installation of an inverter (115/230 V) for the operation of fans
- On-site training of the solar technician and staff at the installation of the system
- Installation of 3 pieces LED Hi-Power headlamps for the schoolyard (burglary protection at night)
- Formulation of a service manual with service intervals, necessary maintenance (periodic monitoring of seals, lights, batteries, etc.)
- Construction of a damp-proof battery compartment
For the implementation of the measures in the Barrio Villa Austria we need EUR 25.000, - and your support! Every euro counts and every cent that is funded flows in the school infrastructure project. In the case of an overfunding, we will equip more educational institutions in areas without power with this technology. With your support we can offer many people a better future!
WHO WE ARE
Project initiator is the Partnership Committee Ottakring with representatives Martin Cech and Marco Brunner, who launched this initiative in collaboration with the officials of the partner district Barrio Villa Austria in Managua, Berna Lila Sanchez Lopez and Angel Rolando Reyes Sanchez. The people behind "Light up Managua" combine decades of friendship and above all one thing: the love for Nicaragua..
For over 25 years, the Partnership Committee Ottakring supports the population in the partner district Barrio Villa Austria in Managua with various activities. Due to drastic austerity measures by the Austrian Development Agency (ADA), the longtime partner of the Partnership Committee in Managua is no longer financially supported. Therefore, the District Partnership Ottakring is trying to implement sustainable development projects for Nicaragua
on alternative routes.
- Peter Schmidt
- San Dino
- Sandra Hofer
- Achim Arnhof
- Sabina Brachtl