Save a gym campaign
The covid-19 pandemic has all but crippled countries and brought their economies to its knees. One of the sectors severely affected is the fitness industry.
Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is a grappling martial art that is new in Malaysia. We finally have a few local black belts. A monumental accomplishment as it takes an average of 10 years to obtain. Martial arts studios, weightlifting gyms, aquatic centers, and sporting arenas, have been left in limbo since March 2020 and they were forced to close for 12 months out of 17.
Business operators have been struggling to make ends meet and have resorted to all kinds of desperate measures to prevent from shutting down. Employees have been laid off, equipment’s have been sold off, and some have even resorted to odd jobs such as food delivery just so they have enough money to make rent.
As a result, over 50% of gyms have permanently shut down due to the government's orders to remain closed under the pretext of controlling the spread of the virus.
BJJ Roots is a private organization, dealing with all things related to the sport of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. We organize tournaments, conduct interviews with famous BJJ personalities, and host fundraisers for worthy causes. We are now reaching out to the public for help to keep anymore gyms from shutting down. We hope to raise a minimum of USD250, which would go a long way to help lighten the burden that gym owners have to go through (ie. Rent, utilities, etc..).
This will be one of many campaigns that we will constantly conduct to help raise money for the gyms that have reached out for help. Each campaign will help one gym respectively.
With little to no help offered from the Malaysian government, we can't see the light at the end of the tunnel. And the future of the martial arts and fitness industry in Malaysia looks grim.
Campaign process flow
1. BJJ ROOTS will establish a campaign on GoFundMe website
2. The Campaign goal is to get help and collect 250 USD
3. Campaign will run for 3 days (BJJ ROOTS might increase the duration depends on the campaign interaction and response)
4. Campaign will close when it reaches its goal (250 USD) or time end (3 days) whichever comes first.
5. Receiver will be chosen randomly of those who are qualified and wish to be receivers.
6. The random selection of a receiver will be determined by a spinning wheel application during an online event that will be streamed on BJJ ROOTS Instagram account .
7. The winner’s name will be deleted from the spinning wheel to allow others to win in the next round.
Your generosity is greatly appreciated. And on behalf of all the gyms in Malaysia, we give thanks and extend our sincerest gratitude.