Our campaign is a chance to support the creation of an entry for the HBO Asian Pacific American Visionaries Short Film Competition with the theme: What Is Home?
"Free" will be an 8 - 12 minute film featuring a young girl in Korea faced with the difficult choice of what to do about her pregnancy with twins in the wake of her Mother's death and her Father's grief.
As an enthusiastic advocate for spreading awareness of Asian American creativity, I see this as an amazing opportunity to showcase the burgeoning talent in the community and increase minority representation in film and media.
Now more than ever it is so important to tell our stories. I especially want to portray international adoption in a realistic, compelling and emotionally affecting project. Cast and crew will include adoptees from Korea and China, and the film will also feature traditional Korean music and pottery.
The number 8 in Asian numerology is auspicious as a symbol of good fortune and eternity and we are seeking an initial budget of $8,000.00 to tell our story.
Your funding will go to the many production costs that include cast and crew, camera, sound and lighting equipment, location scouting, design and usage fees, wardrobe, hair and makeup, props, transportation, music and post-production editing and FOOD to keep the crew going.
Every small donation is greatly appreciated and so useful!
* $25: kit fee for funereal makeup
* $75: rental of the rowboat in the opening scene
* $100 : a day of crew meals to fuel us up!
* $250: the Korean celadon vases so key to the authenticity of the film
* $500: synch rights for a Korean lullaby written back in the 1950s
Filming will take place in September and October 2017 in New York City, New Jersey, California and Minnesota. AND: if we exceed our goal with enough additional funds, we will also travel to Korea to film footage there!
First prize winner of the competition will have the opportunity to have their Film premiered on HBO platforms in 2018; a trip to Los Angeles, California in April, 2018 to attend the 2018 Los Angeles Asian Pacific Film Festival where winner’s Film will premiere and winner will receive an HBO Visionaries award and cash prize -- that's a lot of exposure for the Asian American community!
Check out my previous work::
* 5-minute film "To Be Determined" placed in the Top 40 and won the award for Best Actress in the 72 Hour Film Shootout sponsored by Asian American Film Lab
* Short story performance "Find Me ", which won the First Prize award at the ROAR Story Slam sponsored by the Council of Korean Americans and Korean American Story
* News spot on NY1 about the need for Asian American talent and Asian American International Film Festival
* Vice President of Also-Known-As, Inc., an association for international adoptees
* Event Producer of the DOC NYC Visionaries Tribute Luncheon
We heart Facebook posts, Tweets, Pins and Instagrams! Speak out with your social media and hashtag #JenKimCreativeFilm.
And got some snacks to keep us pumped during filming?? Let's chat.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT!
Jen Kim Creative
- Jenn Jacovsky
- Gene Wang
- Krista Bruhn
- Lee Derks
- Rich Liu
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more