Jaime Lea Cobler Lyme Dis Treatment

In August 2017 I was diagnosed with lyme disease. Lyme disease is not recognized in saskatchewan, because of this, I recieved my diagnoses and further treatment in Calgary. So far this journey has cost me over $70,000. Here is my full story. In June 10, 2017 while still in the house I found a tick buried into the back of my hip. I was grossed out but pulled out and noticed it had meat in its mouth so I got it all. I didnt think much of it. A week later I was exhausted and dizzy then within days I couldnt drive. I had blurred vision, constant headaches, dizziness, carsickness, stiff neck, word finding problems and swollen glands. The symptoms came on within 2 days and seemed so strange because I felt run down by the flu but the issues seemed cognitive, not flu like. A week later a bullseye rash appeared around the tick bite. I then decided it was time to go see the doctor. I dont normally seek medical help unless I'm dying haha. The doctor said no lyme in saskatchewan, he said it would be comparative to treating frost bite in Hawaii. He said I have a virus and a hive. Stated they couldnt run canada lyme test until after a month. He then phoned back the next day and said he looked into it and it was suspicious so if I wanted to take the risk of taking 2 weeks of antibiotics he would prescribe them for me. Of course I took the risk because all I wanted was to feel better. 2 weeks later my rash and swollen glands improved but my symptoms had gotten worse. I now was sensitive to light and sound, they would give me intenses migraines. One migraine sent me to the ER when half my body went numb and face was drooping. I couldn't hold a conversation, my brain wandered, I had chills and hot sweats, pain throughout my body migrating and changing by the hour. I went back to the doc and he said he would talk to infectious disease doctor in Regina. That doctor told him no lyme in Saskatchewan but that my case did sound suspicious, he said if I had lyme that 3 weeks of antibiotics would cure me, he stated that if I wanted to accept the risks he would prescribe me another week. By the end of that week my brain started to come back and I could think for about an hour a day before the headache would get unbearable. I told the doctor I was getting better and asked if I could I try a few more weeks. He said no, that would be too risky and that there is no lyme here. The next month continued with bed ridden days from pain and dizziness. Somedays I didnt know what time it was, I couldn't remember if I had eaten, and at times I wasn't able to speak. By 2.5 months the doctor said all my bloodwork was good and my CT scan came back normal. Over these 2 months I had missed two periods, the new diagnosis was menopause and depression. I was 38yrs old at the time and fully functional before June 10. My lyme test came back negative but the doctor said its not accurate so we cant rule it out. I had emailed alberta lyme earlier sending them my symptoms and a picture of the tick bite. They recommended 1 MD in Calgary you can be referred too but it is a 2yr waiting list and Lyme needs antibiotics as soon as possible. They recomended a couple Naturopaths that can diagnose but can't prescribe the needed antibiotics. The other was a private doctor. With the private doctor you could pay for diagnosis and treatment if needed. I wanted nothing more than to feel better, I thought I was dying. So I paid out of pocket and went to the private doctor, I was given the lyme diagnosis and started on IV antibiotic treatment Aug 26. Within 4 weeks I was a lot better, mostly exhausted, nauseated and dizzy. Today I am still on 2 different high doses of antibiotics and a slough of 100 pills a day to save, protect, and replenish my system from the antibiotics. In December my brain started to falter again and the headaches came back. I went back for 2 more weeks of IV antibiotics and am a lot better again currently. I have since found we didnt catch the lyme in time and that it has gone chronic. My current doctor states it will be up to a year for a full recovery. We still do not know what a full recovery looks like but chances are I will never return to my baseline before lyme. Only a few prescriptions have been covered by benefits and to date it has cost more than $70,000 for tests, treatment and doctor fees all in Calgary, this does not include travel and accommodation. I will continue to fight and am planning on raising awareness in saskatchewan this spring. I am going to continue to help others effected by this horrible disease as a lot are still sick with little to no help from the system. I have been so lucky to have the family and friend support I have received, but financially it has been a challenge. I have only been able to work a couple days in the last 8 months and we have had to pull from savings. We are going to have to decide what my life will be after my initial healing phase and see where I get back too. Right now I realize its a lot slower process than I first thought and will have to get strong enough to repress the rest of my life. 


 See top
  • Janet McIntosh 
    • $500 
    • 36 mos
  • Tim Stevenson 
    • $200 
    • 36 mos
  • Shawn Glessing 
    • $50 
    • 36 mos
  • Lee Duncan 
    • $50 
    • 36 mos
  • Richard moffitt 
    • $600 
    • 37 mos
See all


Lea Cobler 
Webb, SK
  • #1 fundraising platform

    More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more

  • GoFundMe Guarantee

    In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more

  • Expert advice, 24/7

    Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more