We are building a land project in the Oakland hills that will serve as a community space centering children, caregivers, and educators. This is an aspiring black-led land-based liberation space for healing, growing, and learning.
This project was born out of the desire to provide children from Oakland access to open land. The space we are building will include opportunities for building gardening, nutrition, animal care and upkeep, and community. The children, their families and communities will be the stewards of this land, learning hard skills that will support healthy, connected and joyful futures.
Recent research points to the power of play, outdoor space, and connection to animals for the growth and development of young people. According to lifesbetteroutside.org children who play outside are “healthier physically and mentally, do better in school, have higher self esteem, have good self discipline, feel more capable and confident, are good problem solvers, are more cooperative with others, are more creative, feel connected to nature, are tomorrows conservative leaders."
In order to make this dream a reality we need your help!
Your tax deductible donation will go a long way:
initial projects to get the farm up and running
$15,000.00 Water Access:
- water tank
-water catchment system
-water set up (pump and drip irrigation system)
- drinking water station
-hand washing station
$2,000 Site Improvements:
Railroad Ties Stakes & Gravel to create stairs and access for participants
- 1 yurt
- 1 platform tent
- Tool storage shed
- Play structure (and safety bark)
- Green House
- Compost Bins
$2,000 Gardening supplies
- plants; Fruit trees, starts (vegetable and herbs)
- materials for planter boxes
- Wood chips
$1,500 Farm animals: (chickens and rabbits)
-shelter 1 for each animal/ including shade
-fencing for each animal run and enclosure
-Processing table and storage for feed and equipment per each animal
$2,000 – hired part time staff to support with land maintenance and site improvements
- 100 hours of staffing at $20/hr
- security fencing for materials and supplies
- safety fencing
- adult tools
- other supplies
$1,000 Compostable toilet
- supply closet
- maintenance materials
if we exceed our goal we will be able to
- Bring solar electricity to the farm
- Add a 3rd shade structure allowing for additional classes/gathering space
- Add to our farm animal family with additional chickens and adding goats.
- Build out a donated trailer to transport animals and farm supplies so that we can bring the farm ( animals and gardening projects) to members of our community unable to access the farm.
- Begin a weed abatement business/goat rental services
- Begin additional land based projects
* Hummingbirds is proud to have The Sarah Webster Center for Social Justice as our fiscal sponosr. We are honored to have Abundant Beginnings as a primary collaborator.
- Akonadi Foundation
- Tamar Agulian
- David Foecke
- Kumari Fabio
Organizer and beneficiary
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more