On December 2nd, my dad suffered two strokes.. one of which was a massive stroke. He aspirated during the stroke and had Pneumonia and Sepsis (from the Pneumonia). He was in a coma for the first eight days with little chance of being able to survive on his own without machines to keep him alive. They tried to remove the breathing tube on Wednesday of that first week and were unsuccessful because Dad's brain was not communicating with his body to tell him he needed to swallow. It was traumatic on his body and the doctor and nurses were almost unable to get the tube back in because of the immediate swelling. There was severe swelling on the right side of his brain and the doctor told us that Dad would have severe brain damage as a result of the swelling. He was also going to be paralyzed on his left side because of the massive stroke on the right side of his brain. The brain damage and the paralysis were based on of course if he survived the stroke altogether. On Saturday, December 11th the doctor informed us that Dad had contracted Pneumonia again from the breathing tube being in for an extended period of time. The doctor decided that he was not going to try to take the tube out again and that as a family, we would need to discuss whether to take him off of life support or to attempt for them to place a trach in his throat along with a feeding tube with the realization that he would likely have to live with the support of a breathing machine the remainder of his life.

On Sunday, December 12th, my sister and I went to the hospital to spend time with Dad before we had to give the doctor the family's decision the next day (Monday). When we arrived at the hospital that morning, Dad was trying to get out of the bed.. using both legs.. yes, even his left leg that they said would be paralysed!! He was awake and nodding or shaking his head to answer questions Sissi and I were asking him. He was consistently following commands.. squeezing our hands, wiggling his toes, giving us the thumbs up, and so forth. The doctor came in to do rounds and was amazed at the progress Dad had made. He also asked Dad to follow commands and added a couple additional commands to include lifting his shoulders off the bed and raising his head off the bed. Dad complied and was able to do everything the doctor asked him to do. The doctor then looked at Dad and said, "Steve, if you will listen to what I say and do as I tell you I will remove the breathing tube. You have to listen to me though and do what I tell you to do and we will be successful. Can you do that for me?" My dad nodded his head yes and within thirty minutes, the breathing tube was out and my dad was breathing on his own. When they took the tube out, the nurse asked him what his name was and he was able to tell her it was Steve. That was two weeks ago today. He has continued to amaze all of us. He was moved to a step down room and has since been moved to the rehabilitation center at the hospital. He knows all of us and most of the time is in good spirits. He has a very very long way to go, but he's headed in the right direction.

As you might or might not already be aware, my mom lost her job in July due to the company she worked for closing their Fayetteville office. She has been receiving unemployment for the last few months, but that ends soon. She has had a couple of interviews, but has not been offered a job. Dad has always been the main source of income for our family. With the sickness and medical issues that have occurred, there will be no income for the two of them once Mom's unemployment ends in a couple of weeks. Disability is a timely process and will take about four months to begin.. if Dad is approved to receive it. My dad and mom would do absolutely anything for anyone. They have the most incredible hearts and have always put everyone else first. I'm asking that if you are able to donate to help them with gas from Mom going back and forth everyday to the hospital, groceries, household bills, and medical expenses.. please find it in your heart to do so. No amount is too small. If you're not able to donate, I ask that you please keep our family in your prayers. Please pray for God to continue to lay his healing hands upon Dad, for strength for my mom and our family during this time, and for safe travels for our family as we travel back and forth to visit Dad. God has blessed our family with a Christmas miracle and to Him be the glory.

Christmas has always been my dad's favorite because he loves doing for others. He could care less if he gets a gift.. he just loves to surprise everyone else and to see the expression on everyone else's faces when they open their gifts. Please help me continue the Christmas spirit that my dad embodies.

We appreciate the prayers from everyone thus far and know that without them, Dad would not be here with us or be as advanced as he is in the healing process. God is amazing, y'all!!

Thank you in advance and please know that we love each and everyone of you.

  • Eric Briggs 
    • $200 
    • 42 mos
  • Jodi Pascarella 
    • $100 
    • 43 mos
  • Pamela Pritchard 
    • $100 
    • 43 mos
  • Aaron & Ashley Hughes 
    • $50 
    • 43 mos
  • Sam Smith  
    • $100 
    • 44 mos
See all

Organizer and beneficiary

Melonie Knight Davis 
Elizabethtown, NC
Donna Knight 
  • #1 fundraising platform

    More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more

  • GoFundMe Guarantee

    In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more

  • Expert advice, 24/7

    Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more