Helping London

Hi there! Best Friends Fur Ever Rescue, Shellharbour are trying to raise funds to help a very special Foster Dog named London. All money raised will go directly towards London's training and medication.  

London hasn't had the greatest start to life but he has progressed in leaps and bounds since being in his foster home. Sadly, through no fault of his own, just circumstance, he will soon need a new foster home or preferably, a permanent one. 

Due to his past, London is unsure of other dogs but we are hoping with a little bit of positive training, he can learn that not all dogs he meets are scary and they can actually be his friend! For now, he would need to be an only dog in a calm, quiet home.

We have been lucky enough to have the wonderful people from Pet Behaviour Vet working with him and also now have the fantastic people from The Dog Project helping him to overcome his uncertainty of other dogs. 

After doing so well in his foster home, we would really love to see him go to a forever home so that he is not moving from place to place. If you know of someone who would love some canine company please let BFFE know. 

London's Journey

In February 2015, a concerned worker from a building site posted to our Lost and Found Facebook page, explaining they had been feeding a stray dog on site for a few of weeks. He said the dog was very thin and very scared and that he would come up near the workers for food but would not let anyone touch him or get too close.

We (Diana, Nicole and Karen) headed out to see what could be done for this poor dog.

The worksite was incredibly busy and we were amazed that he has managed to stay safe in such an environment. There were trucks, diggers and cars everywhere, as well as electrical wires, trenches and an expansive area of bush surrounding the whole place.
We sighted him after a little while, just wandering around the site. He spotted us and came a little closer. His eyes were quite infected and he was thin like the site worker had said.

Karen sat down with some food and he cautiously approached her. He was incredibly alert to all sounds and movement and the moment she so much as moved her foot, he would run off. He would come back after a few minutes though and continue to take the food we were giving him. Nicole also sat down in a different spot and he went straight to her for food as well. Even so close as to eat out of a bowl with her hand in it. At that point we thought it may be an easy catch.

How wrong we were…

In late June 2015 we had been feeding him every single day for nearly 5 months. During this time we had tried trapping him, different types of food, different areas of the site and we had called in rangers and inspectors, but we were still unable to catch him.

Diana had however made a lovely bond with him during this time. He would run towards her car when he saw it or he would come out of the bushes and run towards her if she whistled for him. Yet still, she could not do more than pat him. He was frightened off by the very sight of a lead! It was nearly five months on and he was still running at the smallest sound or slightest movement.

At the end of June, with the help from some kind hearted volunteers and a local vet, we made a plan to sedate and catch him. This was good in theory. On the day, Diana fed him like normal but had sedatives in his food. We waited for hours but London fought the sedation and then managed to get away from all five of us as well as two helpful site workers who joined the scramble through the bush looking for him. Eventually we had to let him sleep it off.

What to do now?

It was early July and Diana had gone to the site to feed him. She fed him and he wandered off to sit in the sun. She followed him and sat with him for a while. The site was quiet; London was calm, had a belly full of food and was enjoying the sun. Diana chose this moment to try to slip the lead over his head. IT WORKED and after 5 long months, SHE HAD CAUGHT HIM! To say we were elated would be an understatement.

London had to then go to the shelter where he was checked for a microchip, which he did not have. He seemed to know he was going to be OK. 

Diana went to the shelter every day for weeks to settle him in and keep him company. He didn’t like the loud noises and was very scared and anxious but was happy and excited to see her. London didn’t know what a toy was – we doubt he had ever had one.

For over a year, Diana visited him regularly at the shelter hoping we could find a suitable foster home for him. As time went on though, London became more and more afraid of all the noises a shelter environment brings and would never come out of his kennel. It was his "safe place".

We hired a pet behaviourist to help him build up his confidence to re-enter the world outside of his kennel and she also put him on a course of anti-anxiety medication to ease his stress.

In November 2016, we were lucky to eventually find a loving foster family for him.  He loves his new life with them and we hope he can continue to enjoy being part of a loving family. 

Donations (0)

  • Grant Lesslie 
    • $220 
    • 30 mos
  • Kahurangi Wiwarena  
    • $5 
    • 30 mos
  • Fran Cosmas 
    • $20 
    • 31 mos
  • June. Hartman 
    • $10 
    • 31 mos
  • Ann Spencer  
    • $5 
    • 31 mos


Nicole Harrison 
Oakflats, NSW
  • #1 fundraising platform

    People have raised more money on GoFundMe than anywhere else. Learn more

  • GoFundMe Guarantee

    In the rare case that something isn’t right, we will refund your donation. Learn more

  • Expert advice, 24/7

    Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more