On August 20th, 2018 after a normal pregnancy and delivery our daughter Kallea Rose King was born and we were told she was a perfectly healthy baby. A few days after taking her home we realized something was wrong when she became very cold and started having extreme difficulties breathing. We rushed her to the hospital and the doctors immediately diagnosed her as being in shock an we were told that she may not live. The doctors were able to save her but she is currently in the neonatal intensive care unit and is in a critical state. After examination the doctors found out she has several severe congenital heart defects that would be fatal without invasive treatment. Kallea has a severely thin aorta, a very large hole between the lower chambers of heart, and a small and deformed valve constricting blood flow. The life-saving surgery she needs has been delayed because she is currently battling a blood infection. After her surgery she will require at least one more surgery and a long recovery with around the clock care for at least a year. We also have a toddler, Adeline. We need financial help for the next year as Kallea requires around the clock care and we are incurring many medical expenses. This is an urgent matter and every little bit helps. Thank you.
Kallea has undergone her first surgery and while they were able to repair her Aorta she will require at least one more open heart surgery in the upcoming months to survive. We have had many scares as Kallea has struggled with massive bleeds, another shock, infections, anemia, and significant weight loss. She is currently still in the intensive care unit and her lungs are struggling greatly. The medical team in Uruguay (where we are currently serving as missionaries) is reaching the end of their resources and capabilities to help her. If she is unable to breathe on her own in the next couple of weeks it has been suggested that we will have to medically evacuate her on a private plan equipped with doctors and breathing equipment. Our insurance will not cover such a flight. Kallea will need to be transported back one way or another for her upcoming surgeries and we are told even if she is able to breathe on her own she will require oxygen to fly. We ask for your continued support and prayers. We appreciate and thank everyone who has helped and reached out to us as this journey is long from over.