Thank you so much, compassionate souls, for clicking through to this page. Now:
(please read until the end for a 'surprise'!)
Basically, October is Australia's Breast Cancer Awareness Month, and I've had the brilliant (read: insane) idea of permanently dyeing all of my hair pastel pink to raise both money and awareness for this incredibly worthy cause!
THE GOAL IS $850: you guys smashed my Live Below the Line target earlier this year, so I'm absolutely positive we can do it again!! <3
Why should I donate?
I'm sure I don't need to convince you of the devastating impact of any cancer on a patient and his/her loved ones' lives. However, here are just a few statistics as to why breast cancer specifically is so physically and emotionally destructive:
- It is estimated that 15,000 Australian women will be diagnosed with breast cancer this year.
- Worldwide, breast cancer is the leading type of cancer suffered by women, accounting for 25% of all cases.
- Chemotherapy treatment of breast cancer often leads to early menopause, taking away any chance of pregnancy, which is a very emotionally scarring experience for many women.
- It's not just older women who are susceptible: over 800 young women are diagnosed each year. I could not even begin to imagine how traumatising that experience would be.
- Because we are so lucky to have developing prevention and treatment methods to tackle breast cancer, we often forget that this cancer, too, is terminal if not discovered in the early stages and treated appropriately.
Where's the money going to?
The plan is to completely dye my mane to coincide with the Cancer Council's 2014 Pink Ribbon Day, thus all money donated by you gorgeous people contribute to their $9 million target this year.
I did extensive research on all breast cancer charities in Australia, and decided to dedicate the donations to the Cancer Council because they focus on helping women in all aspects of the cancer: research, prevention, and support.
Wait...how's dyeing your hair pink an incentive?
I totally get where you're coming from! Pink hair is super awesome, so it's a win-win for me right? Well actually, as many people have noticed, I have the world's thickest hair. There's a ton of it, and it's really long as well. So the dyeing process will take ~10 hours in total, as well as lots of bleach and dye, which will also cost quite a bit of $$$.
Also, since I have black hair, I will have to bleach it at least twice before putting colour in. This means that things can very easily go wrong, and my hair will likely be quite damaged in the aftermath.
AND HERE'S THE BEST PART: My aunt's getting married on October 26 (yay!). I'm going to try and keep this a complete secret from my parents until then, and if you guys help me hit my target in time, I will film their reaction upon opening the door and post it for all your viewing enjoyment! Let's just say that my parents have a very traditional, Asian opinion about me dyeing my hair anything, let alone a colour that's not real, so this will likely be really traumatising for me and very entertaining for you!
Thank y'all so much for donating, any amount will be appreciated!!! You can also give me money in person :)
SO MUCH LOVE xxxxxxxx
DonationsSee top donations
- Gerald Kuo
- Helena Hu
- Cherry Chan
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more