Spinal Surgery

Dearest Friends,

It began February 4th, with severe pain in my neck, then down into my shoulder into my hand. I  was in sheer agony.  I could not do anything for about several days and have been limited every since.  I went to the doctor who prescribed pain meds and ordered an MRI.  The MRI  scan done in April, received results in May, all the while in pain, some days worse than others.

The results revealed that I have osteoarthritis from C4 to C7 in my cervical spine with 2 herniated discs and a third disc beginning to protrude. The disc between C5 and C6 s impinging on the nerve.  The only fix is surgery.  In July the doctor recommended shaving off just the bit of disc that is impinging  on the nerve but yesterday, now September, my symptoms indicate that the disc is affecting the nerve on the right side now too, and so it should be removed entirely and replaced with little piece of titanium. The type of surgery is commonly known as a spinal fusion.

I regret not having purchased private medical insurance before this happened, especially as I live in Spain it its very reasonably priced (this of course will change).  My family members and close friends have generously offered to help as much as that can with financing this surgery.  I have saved what I can and arranged a loan from a friend.  However, because the type of surgery that I need is now a fusion, it will be  more expensive than I had anticipated.  I need  help to pay for the piece of titanium that will replace the disc and any extra will help me with to cover my bills during the 30-40 days I will be out of work. 

Apart from financing I will need help during the recovery period with taking care of the dogs and chickens, grocery shopping, gardening and household chores.  My  dear sweet and amazing Mommy will fly all the way out from Washington to do a lot of that (Im so grateful for that!).   Apart from all this I am honestly not sure what else I need to prepare for.

The surgery is urgent.  The longer I put it off, the more I risk permanent, irreversible nerve damage.  The pain and the symptoms have progressed in the last several months.  The doctors words in early July were   "its not a matter of weeks but it is a matter of months, don't wait a year".    Its likely that come winter with the cold, the pain will worsen significantly.   I have scheduled the surgery for the 16th October.  I hope with a little help from my friends I can at least get the financial and technical burden off my back.  

Its a real pain in the neck.  And its a hard practice of humility to have to ask for help.  I thank you in advance and please know, in the future when I am able to, I will gladly and eagerly pay it back or pay it forward.

Gratefully yours,
Kristy Brooks
  • Anonymous 
    • €100 
    • 35 mos
  • Antoni Riera Sastre 
    • €60 
    • 35 mos
  • Cynthia Knapp 
    • €30 
    • 35 mos
  • linda tait 
    • €30 
    • 36 mos
  • Cynthia Wideen 
    • €100 
    • 36 mos
See all

Organizer

Kristy Brooks 
Organizer
Artà
  • #1 fundraising platform

    More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more

  • GoFundMe Guarantee

    In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more

  • Expert advice, 24/7

    Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more