We're raising money for the Jamaican Association of Maryland (JAM) Claude McKay Scholarship Fund, to benefit college-bound and current college students of Jamaican descent living Maryland. We have awarded more than 75 scholarships over the years and hope to continue awarding scholarships into the distant future.
We plan to begin accepting scholarship applications in February 2021, and distribute scholarships in June. There is such great satisfaction in helping hard-working students better themselves.
Claude McKay Scholarship Criteria:
- The applicant must be currently enrolled in an accredited educational institution with eligibility for high school graduation or currently attending college.
- The applicant must submit proof of acceptance to a post-secondary school, including a copy of the enrollment contract, prior to receipt of a scholarship.
- The applicant must have a minimum scholastic average of a “C” for high school or a 2.5 GPA for college, and submit proof of same.
- The applicant must submit an essay of one hundred (100) words or less explaining:
a) The reasons for applying for the Claude McKay Scholarship,
b) The benefits that would be derived from receiving a scholarship,
c) The reasons why the applicant is deserving of the scholarship.
- The applicant must submit two (2) letters of recommendation written by:
b) Community (examples: Minister, Employer, etc.).
These letters must be submitted with the application and include:
i. How long the applicant has known the writer
ii. The relationship between the applicant and the writer
Preliminary screening will be performed by the JAM Claude McKay Scholarship Committee. Selected finalists will be reviewed by the Committee and the ultimate final applicants will be recommended to the JAM Board of Directors. The recipients will then be determined by the Board, and the scholarship funds will be divided appropriately.
The applicant’s academic status will be required to be submitted to the Scholarship Committee at the end of each semester.
The applicant is expected to give 2 hours of volunteer service during his/her summer recess.
Scholarship recipients must be present at the awards event in order to accept the scholarship.
Any donation will help make an impact, and your donation is tax-deductible.
Visit the JAM web site (jamdonline.org) for more information on us.
Thanks in advance for your contribution!
Jamaican Association of Maryland
- Samantha Sailsman
- Linda Felder
- Julaine Rigg
- Ricardo Nugent
- Jacqueline Bell
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more