This is the story of Chance, my sweet 8 week old golden retriever puppy who is in very bad shape right now.
My boyfriend and I have been on the waiting list for Chance for over a year. His name (after Chance the Rapper) has been picked out for over a year. This little boy has been my world ever since he was born. He was born on May 20th, and I had been kept updated by the wonderful breeder about how he was doing each week. Out of the litter, his fluffy little legs were the first to stumble up to me first. I knew he was the one!
We brought him home July 6th, and he was such a joy already. He was so happy and loved being in our home. Unfortunately, we really only got to feel the joy of having him in our home for two days or so. We began to notice he would be very sleepy, would not eat, and would not drink water. He was extremely lethargic, and our other dog laid next to him all day knowing he was sick.
We began bringing him into several veterinarian clinics around the Quad City area, and could not find any answers for him. Many of the doctors that Chance met were very experience, well educated people, and still shrugged their shoulders at his unique situation. One of the doctors gave him a less than 10% chance of living. He stayed the night a few nights in out emergency clinic in Bettendorf, but none of the updates or news from the doctors were positive. Many of the updates from the doctors were that he was getting worse, and they would try everything they could to figure it out. After many tests, ultra sounds, x-rays, and other analysis, nothing was still pin-pointed as to what was wrong with our little man.
Despite the lack of hope we had in him at this point, Chance's spirit was so high and positive. Although he wasn't as playful as you'd expect, his tail still wags when his people enter the room. He gives us the look in his eyes that he just isn't ready to give up yet.
My boyfriend and I have taken him to the Iowa State small animal veterinarian hospital, and he will stay there for this week. Although the treatments that they have provided have shown improvements, we still do not know if he will make it through the entire week. He is tougher than nails, and he is in the best hands possible right now. Thus far different vets have treated him for Lepto, Parvo, Vitamin D toxicity, Gastroenteritis and Addison's Disease, all of which have come back negative to this point. There is belief based off of symptoms and the treatments done at ISU that it is in fact Lepto, tests are still being done to confirm a second time. We have been getting calls for updates from ISU hospital, and each time the phone rings it just gives us chills. Fortunately, the treatment has shown improvements in his levels since he has been there and there might possibly be a light at the end of the tunnel with Chance. But, there is not definite answer right now as to if we can bring our little one back home.
As any pet owner knows, vet bills can grow to amounts you'd never expect, especially with special treatments like what Chance has received. With options still on the table throughout the whole process of saving Chance's life, we had to give him that chance. With our goal at $10,000, our hope is to cover the highest amount possible given from the estimates from the doctors. So far, our vet bills are at a total of $6,000, which does not include the remainder of the week Chance will be staying at the hospital. Our pledge is that if we reach our goal, any money left over will be donated directly to the Iowa State Veterinary Research Center for their amazing efforts in doing everything they can to save his life.
We'd like to thank those who have reached out to us and shown your support. He is more than just a puppy to us and he has already touched so many lives, of people who have never even met Chance. We appreciate in advance the support.