On the evening of 5/27, she was playing with her toys when suddenly she began acting strang. Dry heaving, lethargic, couldn't stand or even lift her head. We left for the emergency vet quickly, and by the time we got there she was screaming and crying. By midnight we received a call- they're worried about her brain. She began to exhibit blindness and paralysis in her back legs. We drove 40 minutes to another animal hospital with a neurologist on staff to evaluate her the next day, suspecting meningitis or GME.
As of right now, we have paid $4,500 in upfront veterinary costs, and we have not even begun a treatment plan for our girl yet. As 2 graduate students, we don't have much money left and we want to make sure our girl gets everything she needs and hopefully pull through.
Please consider donating to help Babs get the care she needs, and help us avoid making a difficult decision to forego treatment because of cost. She truly is a member of our family and our baby- we are devestated that this happened.
I will keep updates as we get them. Right now we are waiting to hear from the neurologist regarding her spinal tap and MRI.
UPDATE: Babs has been diagnosed with seizures. She stayed inpatient at the emergency clinic for 2 days where she received an MRI and spinal tap. We were able to rule out meningitis, and the vet believes the cause of her condition was a seizure that led to inflammation in her brain and spinal cord, which led to blindness and paralysis. She is back to walking around, and her eyesight has improved but has not fully returned at this time. She will be taking anti-seizure medication indefinitely, and has follow-up appointments as we continue to assess the cause of her condition, and whether this will be a recurring event. In total, our vet bills have totaled to $7,000. Please continue to share our page and donate if you are able! Every little bit helps, and we are so thankful to everyone who has helped our girl.
Alyssa, Sean, and Babs