Al Slaughter's Hurricane Relief

23886398_15054176930_r.jpegFriends & Family - We are asking for your generosity to help a friend and co-worker in desperate need after Hurricane Irma devastated parts of Central Florida.  Al Slaughter has been a FT employee with Winn-Dixie for 40 years and currently works with my husband, James Bailey, at the Orlando- Metro West location.  In the early morning hours on Monday, September 11th, in the middle of the arrival of Hurricane Irma, many homes in Orlando had to be immediately evacuated due to rising flood water and unsafe conditions.  Al Slaughter's family was one of those who were rescued by the National Guard in the middle of the night, unable to take anything with them.  Since Monday, Al Slaughter, Cynthia (his wife) and Koi (his son) have been staying in a temporary Hurricane shelter and they have not been able to go back to their house out of safety concerns.  Like many Floridians who do not live on the coast, we are not required to have flood insurance, so the Slaughter family is uncertain what, if anything will be covered by insurance.  At this time, Al's home is uninhabitable, they have nowhere to go and he has not been able to return to work at this time due to not having basic needs met and not knowing where they will live next.  Al will receive some financial aid from work, but it will be very minimal.  While Al plans to return to work next week, please consider helping him and his family pay for basic things that you and I take for granted every day.  They have no home, no clothes, no toiletries, no bed, no stable food supply and their future home is undetermined.  If you have thought about wanting to help a family in need after the Hurricane, but don't want your money to go toward admin fees or big corporations, please be assured that 95% of these funds raised will go directly to the Slaughter family.  (The remaining 5% must be paid to the go-fund-me website that helped set up this account.)  Al will have access to these funds as soon as they are donated and I'm sure he and his family will appreciate any help you are able to provide.
  • Direct Impact Fund 
    • $338 
    • 47 mos
  • Anonymous 
    • $50 
    • 49 mos
  • PATRICK DENBY 
    • $40 
    • 49 mos
  • Lisa and Joe Nash 
    • $50 
    • 49 mos
  • Deryk Knight  
    • $5 
    • 50 mos
See all

Organizer

Cheryl Bailey 
Organizer
Tavares, FL
  • #1 fundraising platform

    More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more

  • GoFundMe Guarantee

    In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more

  • Expert advice

    Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more