This is a crowdfunding project to purchase a welder.
What is crowdfunding?
Crowdfunding activates the community by using our collective strength to accomplish more together than they would be able to as individuals. We don't have to be our own islands. We can cooperate to the benefit of all.
What is a welder?
A welder (sometimes known as a welding machine) is a machine that is used to melt metal together using electric current.
Why should I give you a dime?
I realize that this may look like I am asking for charity to fund a purchase for my own workshop because I don't mind groveling or begging instead of just saving my money. You could quickly jump to that conclusion, disregard this crowdfunding project, and 'un-friend' me.
Or, you could take a second to think about what you know about me as a person. As you have probably already experienced, I enjoy helping out with hands on projects whenever I can. I'm always glad to assist or take the lead on projects for friends and family. I can't help but get involved when there is work to be done. Heck, we probably became friends while we were working on a project together!
Many of you will also recall that when it comes to my tools, I have a "what's mine is yours" mentality. If I have something that could help you with your project I am more than willing to let you borrow it for as long as you need. From moving boxes to cordless drills to flare nut wrenches, if you need it, I'm glad to share. In some cases I have even purchased tools for other people's projects because I knew someday soon I or someone else would need it.
So far, I have slowly saved $1500 towards the welder. But, the projects are piling up and there is work to be done. I'm looking for your help to make the final $2500 push so I can get the welder and we can get to work.
I say 'we' because if possible I would love to help with your welding project. I truly enjoy welding. Even better, I can teach you to weld so you can get the satisfaction of doing the job yourself. Maybe you don't even have a welding project and you would just like to learn how to weld. We can do that too.
The welder I'm looking to purchase travels very well, so while I'm probably not going to travel for the purpose of welding, I wouldn't mind welding while I'm already traveling. There would be some logisitics to figure out, but where there's a will, there's a way!
$4,000!! Which gold-plated welder are you trying to buy!?
It is a significant cost, which is the reason why I am seeking the support of the 'crowd' to purchase the welder. I have broken this decision down into four major areas of concern: capability, durability, portability, and expandability.
1. Capability. Given that the welder is being crowdfunded it should be expected that the "crowd" will have a wide variety of welding jobs. Here's a look at what I believe to be a good sampling of some of the jobs the machine should be able to handle:
-Sheet metal repair (Floor pans, fenders, etc.)
-Roll cage fabrication
-Engine block repair
-Cylinder head repair
-Aluminum radiator fabrication
-Aluminum intake fabrication
-Pinion angle corrections on lifted vehicles
-Custom roof racks
-Heavy duty bumper fabrication
-Heavy duty rock sliders
-Outboard Motor Skeg Repair
-Aluminum boat repair
-Stainless steel fermenter fabrication/modification
-Aluminum keg repair/modification
-Tap system manifolds
-Custom barbecue grills
-Iron trellis fabrication
-Metal fence repair/fabrication
2. Durability. Given the use that I expect the welder to get and the cost of aquisition, this welder has to last. There are plenty of cheap welders out there. The market is flooded with consumer level machines that offer short lifespans and low price tags. I wouldn't want to put your donation into something that I expect to only last a year or two. The welder we purchase should be a professional model that is built to outlive me. That way if you ever have a welding job, you can expect that the welder you helped purchase is still working. It should be from an established brand that we expect to be around in 50 years.
3. Portability. Given the 'crowd' use explained above, this can't be a 2,000 pound monster from the past that requires a crane to move. It has to take advantage of the new, lightweight inverter technology that allows the machine to run on 110V or 220V and be the size and weight of a loaded, carry-on suitcase.
4. Expandability. No two welding jobs are exactly the same and some jobs are better accomplished with special accessories. The welder purchased should allow these accessories to be added easily without having to purchase a new machine. Industry standard connectors and a full complement of accessories are a must.
Given this criteria, I selected is the Miller Dynasty 200DX:
Hey this crowdfunding thing looks pretty cool. What if I've got some ideas for a crowdfunding project of my own?
I would love to help! Shoot me a Facebook message and we can chat about how to get your project setup. In the two weeks I have been running this campaign I have learned a great deal and I am learning more every day!
Ok, I'm ready to donate!
Awesome! Choose a reward level below (they're named after tradesman ranks for welders) or choose a custom amount and follow the steps to make your contribution. Every dollar helps and your support is greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance,
p.s. - I only recently learned about the reward level functionality, but all donors prior to 11/24 will receive at least a keychain or an ornament. If you donated a total amount equal to or greater than a higher level reward you'll get those too! :)
p.p.s - I also learned about the 'offline donation' tool, which allowed me to add in my contribution and update the overall goal.
DonationsSee top donations
- Jayeson Brewster
- Todd Losey
- Mike Harvey
- Amanda,Aaron, & Emma Grabowski
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more