There were no injuries. Firefighters were dispatched to the school at 3:58 a.m. and arrived on the scene 10 minutes later, according to a news release.
After almost 30 minutes spent fighting the fire in the white trailer – one of many that serve as additional classroom space for the overcrowded middle school – firefighters were able to extinguish the blaze.
The fire department ruled the fire was accidental and had started in a heating unit on the trailer.
In an email to school staff, Hickory Middle principal Deborah Hutchins identified the portable as belonging to "Mr. Drake."
On Facebook, Hickory Middle science teacher and football coach Mike Drake wrote "Please remember it was more than just a portable. It was my classroom. It was the classroom to all of my students. It contained their work, their supplies, and years of personal teaching supplies."
- David Sackett
- Mary Popejoy
- Kenny Stuart
- Elizabeth Swanson
- Corie Tyler
Organizer and beneficiary
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more