Welcome to the international fundraising platform for Motherhood: The Journey of Mata Sahib Kaur; where the worldwide community can support this amazing project. Go Fund Me supports donations from across the world in many currencies so join the movement to change lives - donate now to create a legacy.
If any assistance is required, please get in touch through [email redacted]
Your support and generosity will help make a feature-length Bollywood movie about a female saint- warrior who led a nation for over 4 decades whilst serving humanity in the most extraordinary circumstances.
By making a donation you will be joining a global community that has started a social revolution in creating this 3D animated non-profit movie that will captivate, inspire and uplift people of all ages around the world. After its success the plan is to create a further 19 movies.
The current total on GFM includes offline income of £267,633 from worldwide supporters (Sept 2018 - June 2019). £22,409 was from our Kickstarter Campaign in May 2018, and £300,000 is in-kind support (marketing banners and theatre adverts).
EVERY DONATION COUNTS - THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT!
How can you support us?
This movie has started a social revolution. It’s the first ever film involving the global Sikh community. ‘For The Sangat By The Sangat’ (Sangat: like-minded society).
Scheduled for release in 2019 - Motherhood: The Journey of Mata Sahib Kaur is now well into
production, but we need your support to help get it to the finish line!
The target is to reach is £2.5million and we believe this can be done with the worldwide sangat coming together to help fundraise! This is why we're attracting international support - the Sikh diaspora all over the world can see the necessity and benefits of this movie.
£2.5 million will create the entire movie and get it into cinema’s worldwide – The costs include everything from the pre-production phase (which include creating storyboards, designing and developing characters and environment building) to the production-phase of the animation and rendering, the post-production activities such as cut-pro rendering and sound mixing. It also includes the costs of global marketing and distribution. Alongside the animation costs, your donations will also go towards music studio recording costs, artist fees and dialogue vocal costs.
What is Motherhood: The Journey of Mata Sahib Kaur?
Motherhood: The Journey of Mata Sahib Kaur is a 3D animated movie. For the first time ever, this movie will depict the amazing life story of one of the greatest (but mostly unknown) female leaders in world history - Mata Sahib Kaur. It will shed light on who she was, what she did and how she uplifted the communities around her. It is a non-profit movie. All profits will be reinvested back into making more movies and social welfare projects, not just in impoverished areas of India but also around the world.
Mata Sahib Kaur was an epitome of the selfless love that is shared between a disciple and their master. Such was her love that, under her Guru's instruction, she went on to become an armed warrior and managed the entire army of the Khalsa. Not only the Mother of the Khalsa, Mata Sahib Kaur can be remembered as the mother of the world, due to her selfless, compassionate and inclusive nature. She helped everyone who entered her court, regardless of religion, caste or creed. For example, she uplifted poverty-stricken Hindu and Muslim families when they asked for financial help, covering all the costs and preparations for girls’ marriages. She also provided relief to drought-stricken farmers, by having wells dug in their villages - alongside numerous other projects.
Why are we making this movie?
Mata Sahib Kaur is the epitome of motherhood, exemplar of courage & symbol of strength. The movie is a celebration of service to humanity - of devotion, selflessness and strength. It will provide society with a new female role model - an example of grace and greatness from Sikh legacy - and will remind other women and girls how much they can achieve. We strongly believe that Mata Sahib Kaur’s story needs to be brought to light and shared with the world. She was not just a leader for the Sikh faith; she was ‘a universal mother, a spiritual mother, a mother for all’.
Taking inspiration from Mata Sahib Kaur, our mission is to uplift the local people of India out of poverty, drug abuse and alcohol addiction. While working towards women’s empowerment, we decided to show Mata Sahib Kaur as the first female role model from Sikh history. To embrace modern technology, to reach out to the youth and to attract non-Sikh audiences, we believe that 3D animation is the way forward. Our team is proud and honored to be doing this seva (voluntary work) of creating Motherhood: The Journey of Mata Sahib Kaur.
In the 17th century, the Indian subcontinent had fallen victim to countless invasions and atrocities. People's homes and wealth were pillaged, their right to live a dignified life was denied and their right to practice faith freely was assaulted. Forced religious conversions had become the norm. Into this dangerous climate... the Khalsa was born.
The Khalsa was a universal brotherhood of warrior-saints. Their primary purpose was to protect the meek from further oppression and tyranny. Swearing to defend the people’s right to live freely, the Khalsa adorned a unique physical identity, as per their divine mission: to stand out from the crowd, be ever-ready to protect others and continually fight for humanity. Such was the extraordinary birth of this Khalsa at Anandpur Sahib in 1699, whose spiritual father and mother were Guru Gobind Singh and Mata Sahib Kaur.
This movie is about the life story of Mata Sahib Kaur (forever immortalised as the Mother of the Khalsa - the mother of an entire nation). It explores her spiritual and temporal leadership qualities, and the socio- religious contributions she made to society during the most turbulent times the country had ever witnessed.
What are the social benefits of the movie?
This is an unheard-of project, the first of its kind. It will add a new chapter to the textbooks of world history, providing a richer and fuller picture of Sikh and Indian history, which will educate and inspire us all.
It will promote the humanitarian values of inclusiveness, selflessness, devotion, sacrifice and equality, as taught by Mata Sahib Kaur.
It will enhance the self-esteem & self-respect of underprivileged women in the Asian subcontinent - predominantly in parts of Northern India - but also around other parts of the globe.
It will help to uplift the status of women in society as a whole, by bringing to light the story of a charismatic woman and well-respected spiritual pioneer, from the golden pages of Sikh history.
It will help connect the youth and coming generations to the glorious past, reinforcing the universal and philanthropic values that were taught by Guru Nanak.
Here’s an update on what we’ve achieved, thanks to the donations received so far (as at May 2019).
We have researched and completed
- The entire pre-production phase
- All 197-character designs
- All 85 concept art designs (backgrounds)
- 4000+ storyboard panels, including specially choreographed fight and chase sequences
- Draft/scratch dialogue and narration recordings with 30+ Punjabi artists
- All costume designs for above characters
- All 1880 prop designs (historical artefacts)
- Acting references that animate emotions and facial expressions to look as real as possible
In addition, we have also
- Scripted, story-boarded, produced and released second teaser
- Locked screenplay and final dialogues (reviewing 14 draft versions)
- Locked first draft of the movie file and reached animatics stage (determining the final length of the movie).
- Planned which shots will be completed using special motion capture techniques, bringing more
originality and naturalness to the animation
We have been using an award-winning team of engineers who have facilitated vocal recordings at studios in Mumbai and Ludhiana, India.
With world-famous singers, including:
- Shankar Mahadevan
- Kavita Krishnamurthy
- Alka Yagnik
- Rekha Bhardwaj
- Hargun Kaur
- Rajwinder Kaur
- Taren Kaur UK and
- Harshdeep Kaur,
we have successfully recorded:
- 1 Supporting sound-track recorded, mixed, mastered, video produced and released
- 3 Gurbani Shabads (Hymns)
- 3 Dharmik Songs
- 1 Anthem
We have also recorded instrumental pieces by world-class musicians to be used in songs and background score for the movie. These include:
- Pandit Harsh Brijnarayan Biyawat (Sarangi)
- Rison Muttichukkaran Rappai (Flute)
- Debasmita Bhattacharya (Sarod)
- Ustad Sandeep Singh (Dilruba and Taus)
- Shibu Ustad (Harmonium)
- Qais Essar (Rabab)
- Ustad Kaviraj Singh (Santoor)
- Gagandeep Singh (Mandolin)
- Ustad Kulwinder Singh (Tabla)
In addition, we:
- Have started auditions for voice artists
- Are currently producing a special 3min instrumental piece by one of the most respected music
producers in the UK.
Marketing and Distribution
We have successfully:
- Partnered with a number of charities and like-minded organisations across UK/Europe
- Launched first educational product (Children’s Activity Book) in support of the project
- Launched awareness and fundraising campaigns in India
- Launched multiple video series on social media, including director’s series, behind-the-scenes
production, and glimpses from the recording studio
- Launched national fundraising campaign in the UK
What comes next:
To get the movie to the finish line we still need funds to help:
- Complete the Animation Production
- Dub final dialogues
- Complete Post-Production phase including rendering, mastering, final editing, colour composition and developing theatre ready copy
- Obtain Global Certifications prior to release
- Complete final mixing and mastering of 7 sound-tracks
- Recording of one shabad and mix-master the final version
- Produce background-score including sound effects
- Conceptualisation, Production and release of the theatrical trailer and dialogue promos
- Producing and releasing music-videos with respective animated scenes after releasing the trailer
- Arrange worldwide premier shows
- Worldwide advertising, Marketing and Promotion
- Worldwide Distribution
- Prepare movie for Digital platforms and release digitally (OTT) after worldwide theatrical release
So please donate whatever you can - no amount is too big - or – too small!
Your generous donations will help us to stay on target and release the movie this year.
Karandeep Singh (Story-Screenplay-Direction) is managing the withdrawal of funds raised from GoFundMe, and the transfer of the funds to the respective partners such iRealties and many others who are helping in making this historical movie! We are working closely with iRealties, the industry-leading animation company which we have chosen for this historic project. Funds raised through GoFundMe form part of the animation costs and directly paid to iRealities Ltd.
Risks and challenges
1. Raising enough funds to complete the work. We try to ensure the targets are achievable and realistic, by balancing the production timeline with the level of support we are currently receiving. The rest of the money will be funded from other sources. We firmly believe that a strong community is the best way to foster large scale support for the movie. That's why we are already building a global fan network. If Motherhood’s fan base keeps growing, it will display to potential investors that there is a demand for the product, therefore increasing our chances of being fully funded.
2. Completing the work on time. We have selected our team very carefully, based on their skills and passion. We are working with a very strong and experienced animation studio called iRealities. This is the same studio that was responsible for making India’s most successful animated movie to date, Chaar Sahibzaade. So we have every faith that the team, along with ourselves, will work tirelessly to complete the work by the deadline, as well as to the highest standard possible. We will send out regular updates, showing the behind the scenes progress of the movie's production. If any unexpected delays cause us to slow down or halt, we will keep all of our supporters updated, as well as providing possible solutions and completion dates.
- Dilraj Athwal
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more