Our goal is to raise awareness in the medical community and in the general public of the existence of Lyme Disease (Borreliosis) and related co-infections in the Southeast generally and in Alabama specifically. Through the Alabama Lyme Disease Association, we intend to accomplish these goals by:
1) Educating doctors in private practice, rural clinics and in major medical centers on the existence and proper diagnosis and treatment of Borreliosis and its co-infections through continuing education programs,
2) Educating the general public via public forums (civic organizations, farming associations, Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts), media, churches, schools, etc.,
3) Facilitating research by providing funding and support for medical researchers,
4) Working with State Representatives to designate May as Lyme Disease Awareness Month in Alabama,
5) Working with Federal Government officials to include Alabama as part of a National Strategy to combat Borreliosis ,
6) Creating and coordinate statewide volunteer network to organize and manage local support groups for Borreliosis patients and those seeking treatment.
7) Creating a video diary of the experience(s) of those suffering from Borreliosis in Alabama
Lyme is the most common vector-borne illness in the United States but those who become infected are typically told that it does not exist. CDC standards practically preclude doctors from properly testing and treating patients.
We have experienced first hand the denial by most in the medical community that the problem even exists and have met many others along the way suffering from the symptoms of Lyme who had the same frustrating experience. The problem primarily seemed to be based on misinformation and a complete lack of awareness and education in the medical community and in the public. Your support is will go a long way toward accomplishing these goals - THANK YOU!
DonationsSee top donations
- Amanda Heist
- Alana Blas
- Allan Carraway
- James Thompson
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more